Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Pins for Proto boards
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pins for Proto boards

by jadney on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 pm

I bought several Adafruit adaptor boards so I could prototype some SMD devices on a protoboard. I soldered on the 0,100" inch pitch header pins that I had but then discovered that the pins were too large for the protoboard. Since then I've been looking for a source for header pins smaller than .025", which seems to be standard for that pitch.

I know smaller pins must be out there, but it's hard to dig down deep enough in the manufacturer's lit to find the pin dimensions. I see that Adafruit supplies pins with some of their adaptor boards, but I don't know the size of the pins or if they will sell them separately.

Can anyone recommend a source for smaller diameter pins? I'd like to buy these in 40 pin snap-apart lengths, on tenth inch pitch.

thanks

jadney

Re: Pins for Proto boards

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:35 pm

I don't think you'll find any manufactured 0.1" pitch pin header that small. Standard pin header wire is 0.025" across the flats, about 0.036" diagonally, and fits through an 0.040" hole. The largest square wire that can fit through a 0.025" round hole will be about 0.017" across the flats, and I don't know of anything that small for 0.1" pitch.

Your best bet would be to use chunks of strained 22-gauge wire. The nominal diameter of 22-gauge is 0.0253", and pulling copper wire axially straightens and stiffens it. The wire gets 5% to 10% longer, the diameter shrinks by a percent or two, and the metal crystals wedge against each other in a way that makes the wire harder to bend.

adafruit_support_mike

by westfw on Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:51 am

these, perhaps ? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1758270 ... 4c4d44lLrl
the pins are small enough to plug into "machined" IC sockets. I wish they were a bit longer for protoboard use, but they do work.

I guess digitkey has the equivalent as well: https://www.digikey.com/products/en/con ... ageSize=25

these have 0.47mm round pins ("round pin" is the relevant parametric search term!) 0.025inch square posts are 0.635mm
(hmm. theoretically, the square pins are NOT too big for a protoboard; the "recommend" 22g wire is 0.6452mm diameter. I agree that they feel too big, though. And are probably responsible for cheaper protoboards developing "flakey" connections as the sockets get stretched...)

westfw

by jadney on Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:24 am

westfw wrote:I guess digitkey has the equivalent as well: https://www.digikey.com/products/en/con ... ageSize=25

these have 0.47mm round pins ("round pin" is the relevant parametric search term!) 0.025inch square posts are 0.635mm
(hmm. theoretically, the square pins are NOT too big for a protoboard; the "recommend" 22g wire is 0.6452mm diameter. I agree that they feel too big, though. And are probably responsible for cheaper protoboards developing "flakey" connections as the sockets get stretched...)

Thanks, I'd love to find something at Digikey, since I buy from them regularly. Your link gets me 24 different parts from 3 different makers; are these all the same diameter? I don't see any way to search for "round pins". If I put round pins in their search box, I get no items found.

Does anyone know what Adafruit sells with some of their other protoboards?

One good piece of advice I got from the maker Sullins, was to buy pins on .050 centers and pull out every other pin. That's actually quite a nice bit of thinking outside the box.

jadney

by westfw on Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Your link gets me 24 different parts from 3 different makers ... I don't see any way to search for "round pins".

The idea was to show some of the "variety" of pins available. I don't know if they're all the same diameter or not. (I'd assume that there's some sort of standard for such pins, but...)
You don't see the way to search for "round pins", because it's already included in the search terms of the link I sent. See the "Applied filters" but up by the search stuff. If you uncheck the "contact shape" term, you'll see it re-appear in the "More Filters" category.

The whole search process was something like "make header pins", "number of rows: 1", "pitch 2.54mm", "contact shape: circular", and then a couple more to get the results down to a reasonable number for posting ("number of positions: 8")

I love vendor's parametric search engines, that frequently go well beyond what the manufacture's capabilities. Though occasionally they just don't have the parameter that you really want ("pin size", in this case?) Sigh.

westfw

by westfw on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 pm

westfw

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:05 am

Hunh.. good catch. Swiss pin never even crossed my mind.

adafruit_support_mike

by jadney on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:38 am

westfw wrote:Oh! There are these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3647

They look nice, but they're out of stock and I don't find the pin diameter listed anywhere.

Anyone know what the diameter would be?

jadney

by jadney on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:01 am

jadney wrote:
westfw wrote:Oh! There are these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3647

They look nice, but they're out of stock and I don't find the pin diameter listed anywhere.

Anyone know what the diameter would be?

Okay, found the datasheet and answered my own question: The Swiss pins are round. The top pin is 0.6 mm (0.024") diameter and 4 mm long, and the bottom pin is 0.46 mm (0.018") diameter and just under 5 mm long.

Samtec makes something almost exactly the same, except that the ends are about 1 mm shorter. See here:

http://suddendocs.samtec.com/catalog_english/td.pdf

I just measured a standard DIP IC and its pins extend 4 mm below the plastic body, so either the Samtec or the "Swiss" pin strips should work nicely.

The Samtec part is TS-132-T-A (tin plated, 32 pins) and is in stock at Digikey for $3.45 each. Also available with gold plating for twice the price. Digikey also has them shorter, it appears that they will cut them down for you (value added service) which only makes sense for a large production situation. 32 pins is the max for this Samtec product.

At $5.95 for a set of five 36 Swiss pin headers, the Adafruit headers are a much better deal. I wish they were in stock.

jadney

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.