Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Waterproof temperature DS18B20 sensor with Grove Protoshield
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Waterproof temperature DS18B20 sensor with Grove Protoshield

by CvRNL on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:11 am

Dear all,

Thank you for reading. I use a Grove Base Shield with my Arduino UNO, because I have two left hands with all the small pins. Now I wanted to extend my sensor collection with some non-Grove sensors. For one of my projects I wanted to try to use the waterproof temperature sensor DS18B20 with a grove protoshield, so I can also use some of my other Grove sensors in the project. However, I'm not sure how to make it work….

I have the blue cable connected to the GND part of the shield, a 4.7Ω resistor (yellow, purple, gold, gold bands, from the Seed "Kit of 500 resistors") on the VCC connection and on the S0 connection, and then the red wire on the VCC connection and the yellow one on the S0 connection, plugged into the D2 port of the Grove shield

I tried the Simple example code: https://github.com/milesburton/Arduino- ... Simple.ino
But, the monitor gives me: "Requesting temperatures…DONE Error: Could not read temperature data"

I have tried to put the shield VCC both to the 3V and the 5V setting, but no difference.

I am not sure if I made the wrong connections on the protoshield, or if the example code needs to be modified when using a Grove connection.

I have added some pictures of how my protoshield looks now.
Attachments
IMG_5312.png
Side view of protosheild
IMG_5312.png (154.11 KiB) Viewed 18 times
IMG_5310.png
Back view of protoshield
IMG_5310.png (161.13 KiB) Viewed 18 times
IMG_5309.png
Front view of protoshield with sensor connections
IMG_5309.png (149.32 KiB) Viewed 18 times

CvRNL

Re: Waterproof temperature DS18B20 sensor with Grove Protosh

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:30 am

I'm not that familiar with the Grove shield. But looking at the documentation, it appears that the D2 pin would correspond to SI on your breakout board and D3 corresponds to S0. If you have a multimeter, you can verify this by checking the resistance between those pins.

Keeping your wiring the same, try changing the example code to use pin D3:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
// Data wire is plugged into port 3 on the Arduino
#define ONE_WIRE_BUS 3

adafruit_support_bill

by CvRNL on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 am

Thank you for your reply!
Unfortunately changing the pin number did not help :(
I ordered a multimeter, so hopefully it will tell more in a few days. I did notice that the tip of the sensor sit get a bit warm, which doesn’t sound good... The color of the wires are different than on the product page of adafruit, so maybe I made a mistake here?

I also saw that Seeed studio has a ready to use DS18B20 with a grove connector (One-Wire-Temperature-Sensor-p-1235), not using the protoshield. I do have all the parts (connectors, wrap, resistors, etc), but I’m not sure how to safely connect the resistor between the connector and the DS18D20. Maybe someone knows it this will work better than with the protoshield, and how to make the connection safely?

This is how they sell it: https://www.seeedstudio.com/One-Wire-Te ... -1235.html

Many thanks!

CvRNL

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:35 am

I did notice that the tip of the sensor sit get a bit warm, which doesn’t sound good

The tip getting warm is not a good sign.
The color of the wires are different than on the product page of adafruit, so maybe I made a mistake here?

Looks like the same red, blue, yellow. Based on the labels on the protoboard pins, it looks like you have at least power and ground correct. But it is probably worth verifying with a multimeter.

I also saw that Seeed studio has a ready to use DS18B20 with a grove connector
. . .
but I’m not sure how to safely connect the resistor between the connector and the DS18D20.

Sounds like you don't need one. The description says it has the resistor built in so you should be able to just plug it in.
. . . So for this sensor, we adjusted it into a Grove port and had a resistance pre-assembled inside so that you can use it as a regular Grove sensor.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.