Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Help picking correct parts for a led lamp
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Help picking correct parts for a led lamp

by brpc on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi,

I've never built anything microcontroller-based (arduino or otherwise) but I want to get into it now that I have a 3d printer. I wanted to start off small by building a color changing side table lamp.

I want to use something like the neopixel 12 ring and some kind of sensor so i can touch the lamp to turn it on and off. Other than that, I don't know really where to start (which arduino do i buy, etc) or what the best sensor for what I'm trying to do is. I thought capacitive might work, but only if it can sense the touch through a thin layer of PLA filament.

I don't want to use batteries, so something that's entirely usb-powered is fine.

I'm familiar with soldering and other electronics repairs, so I have the basic skills to hook everything up... just don't know what parts to buy. I am also comfortable doing programming as well.

brpc

Re: Help picking correct parts for a led lamp

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:37 pm

You can use something like a capacitive switch. These will work through a layer of plastic: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1375

On top of that, you need a processor and the Neopixels. Most any Arduino or compatible will work. For a USB powered Neopixel project, the Metro Mini would be a good choice: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2590

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help picking correct parts for a led lamp

by brpc on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:14 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I ordered my first set of parts so we'll see how it goes later this week or next!

brpc

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.