Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Cut a Perma-Proto board to length
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cut a Perma-Proto board to length

by Steve_3000 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:55 pm

I need to cut about 1.5" off the length of a full size Perma-Proto board, so it fits in the enclosure I have. What is the best way to make the cut so as not to cause the board to crack or split?

I have a good quality 12" tin snips. I have a chop saw (also called cutoff saw) with a 10" general purpose wood cutting blade. I have a box cutter I could use to score a line in the board. I might have a coping saw somewhere.

What would be best?

Thanks.

Steve_3000

Re: Cut a Perma-Proto board to length

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:00 pm

I'd go with a saw approach vs. any kind of scissor or knife cutting approach.

A 10" chop saw may be a bit heavy though. Something more like a jig saw, band saw, or a Dremel with a cut off wheel would probably work better.

adafruit_support_carter

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:48 pm

I agree. A chop-saw with a wood cutting blade would not be my first choice. An abrasive wheel or something with a fine-tooth blade are the way to go. I generally use a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade. Sometimes a hack-saw or dremel for smaller cuts.

adafruit_support_bill

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 am

If you have the option, use an abrasive wheel in water, like a tile cutter. PCBs are essentially high-quality fiberglass, and the dust makes a mess. Low-speed abrasive cutting under water gives really good results.

adafruit_support_mike

by Steve_3000 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 pm

Thank you all for your advice about cutting a Perma-Proto board. Your posts jogged my memory. I found I had a small handsaw which my Dad, a machinist, called a "jeweler's saw". It looks a lot like a coping saw. I think it might be anywhere from 30 to 60 years old. It has a very thin blade with a high density of tiny teeth. The blade is mounted so that the cutting occurs on the back stroke. As I recall, my Dad told me to use very little pressure, little more than the weight of the saw itself. This saw made a clean easy cut.

In the spirit of experimentation I tried using a tin snips to cut a "row" off the leftover piece. It seemed to cut ok, but the noises it made as it was cutting suggests to me that damage was being done to the substrate which might damage the nearby tracings, so I do not recommend it.
Attachments
jeweler_saw.jpg
jeweler_saw.jpg (261.53 KiB) Viewed 19 times

Steve_3000

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.