Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Valve 997 not closing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Valve 997 not closing

by nanno on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi,

I am having issues using the 997 solenoid valves. There are just letting water through. Even without any power it is dripping. There is no real pressure on the valves. Just a centimeter of water on top. I don't know what to do...

Thanks in advance!

nanno

Re: Valve 997 not closing

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Just a centimeter of water on top.

Can you post a photo of your setup. We're not sure what you mean by a centimeter of water on top.

adafruit_support_carter

by nanno on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm

I posted a video here. This valve is new out of the package and I have many like it that just run water trough without any power connected whatsoever. There is no other pressure on the valve then the gravitational force of the water.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PsIdqRb7SbxzTgOZJ_TnZ3FyuqnsjrG9?usp=sharing

nanno

by nanno on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:38 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
Just a centimeter of water on top.

Can you post a photo of your setup. We're not sure what you mean by a centimeter of water on top.

See post before.
I checked all my valves and out of the 25 that I ordered 12 do this and are for me completely unusable. Some I realized after installation others tested brand new out of the package (such as the one in the video). I tried taking one apart and reassembling but didn't fix anything.

nanno

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks for the video.

The valves do have a minimum working pressure rating of 0.02MPa (mega pascals). As well as a maximum working pressure of 0.8 MPa. See info at bottom of product page:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/997

So this faucet test is well below the minimum working pressure. Is your final application also going to be at similar low pressure?

adafruit_support_carter

by nanno on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:11 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:So this faucet test is well below the minimum working pressure. Is your final application also going to be at similar low pressure?

Yes I am aware regarding the final project/use but that doesn't explain why water is running through the valve without any power connected and external pressure being applied. This way I can't even close the valves as they are normally closed valves...

nanno

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:54 pm

The valve requires a small amount of pressure to actually fully close. Otherwise it would have a minimum working pressure of 0 MPa.

Can you test with the system pressurized above the minimum?

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.