Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Guided lessons for 1-3 graders?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Guided lessons for 1-3 graders?

by orionstars on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 am

Morning All,
I’ve not been an active participant of the electronics community for many (many) years, though I’ve been reading on the sidelines frequently so I’m not totally lost in the woods when it comes to what’s available product wise - but don’t count on that much!

Like lots of folks I’m looking at having my kids home home for at least the fall. (I’ve been a stay at home dad for 8 years already so familiar territory and homeschooling was an actively considered option previously - but our kids received a slot in our Montessori school and that has been amazing.) We do lots of hands on projects as a part of everyday and are building a model railroad together for fun (and part art, carpentry, planning, writing lessons - but don’t tell them that to loudly).

I’ve wanted to get back into relearning analog and digital electronics myself and the kids would like to make their coding practice more applicable, add lights with switches to some train layout buildings, my daughter (8) would like to track the temperature and maybe other weather items.

So my question is how/where do I start at zero and move forward? Do folks have ideas of where to start with 1st-3rd graders? (Initially 2 - but there is a chance that I’ll be adding 2-4 same age kids to the mix (my wife is a primary care provider and 1/2 families/colleagues of hers may need help for the kids as well - and the exposures are mirror to ours so that might be our “pod”.) It would be me teaching them (essentially) so there would be adult help and supervision. I’ve not solder in a long time so would need to ruin a few things first! But am not against teaching them too.

I had been a subscriber to Nuts & Volts for the last few years and loved reading the projects - but they were way past where I could figure. My experience had only been analogue and zero coding. (Willing to add that to our lessons as the kids are a step ahead of me already!)

In summary I’m trying to figure out how to start teaching analogue/digital electronics to 1st-3rd graders from the very beginning. I’m hunting for lessons/plans as well as supplies. (Which I know I can get here!)

Thanks for reading his far and any help folks may have!
Orionstars

orionstars

Re: Guided lessons for 1-3 graders?

by orionstars on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:56 am

(Can’t figure out how to edit my post via my iPad so I’m adding here.)

It dawned on me after I posted the above - that maybe what I’m looking for is a “course” for me, that then I can teach to my littles... May comments/questions above may have been to narrow?
TIA

orionstars

by pneumatic on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:11 pm

Hello Orionstars

I'm also trying to find a project for my 6 (almost 7) year old son. He'll be going into the 1st grade. I've done a quick search for lesson plans, and they all seem a little dry, and unfortunately my son doesn't have a great attention span.

So here's what I think I'm going to try. We're going to find a toy that he'd like to modify. I'm thinking a lego model because it will be easy to disassemble and re-assemble, but we may end up using one of his trucks if that's more engaging for him.

We're going to plan out some modifications we can make, adding lights, sensors, motors, servos, sounds, etc.

Probably we'll start by adding a few lights/LEDs. This can start with a simple LED and button-cell battery circuit and can then extend to the blink example for any of the microcontroller boards. I'm considering the circuit playground classic or the circuit playground express because they're cheap and have lots of stuff built in.

Perhaps next we'll add a sensor, so that the light goes on when a door opens, or when it hits something, etc.

pneumatic

by orionstars on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 pm

These are great ideas. Thank you!
Still looking to find myself a “good” course setup to get back on my feet.

Thanks!

orionstars

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.