Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Wire AWG recommendation for EL lights
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Wire AWG recommendation for EL lights

by Daft_vagabond on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:02 pm

I started a neat project a little while ago to help me learn electronics. I needed to fit some electronics inside a handle and I designed it so that everything can be taken apart pretty easily. For the electronics that meant getting some connectors. At the time I just ordered these since I assumed they'd be enough

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J ... UTF8&psc=1

Which they were, at the time.

Since then I've decided I want to remake this piece and I wanted to incorporate some EL wire/tape into the handle. I've been looking around but can't seem to find a recommended wire-width for EL stuff and I don't think what I'm currently using would be enough, at lease the connectors. I have pretty limited space so I'd like to keep the wires and connectors as thin as possible and I would certainly appreciate some help understanding some of these things and maybe finding a suitable connector.

(Also, there's part of the handle that rotates and so I got this electrical slip ring

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2 ... =UTF8&th=1

but the wires are even thinner on this than the connectors so I'd need to find a better slip ring, too)

Daft_vagabond

Re: Wire AWG recommendation for EL lights

by westfw on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:23 pm

EL things are low current (although at relatively high voltage), so you can get away with fine wires. 28g (ribbon cable) to 24g (cheap speaker wire) should be fine. (what will crimp well in a a specific connector is a separate question.)

westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.