Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Adafruit Neopixels Not All Lighting
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit Neopixels Not All Lighting

by booyah323 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Okay,

So I bought the 60 LED Neopixel Strip RGB. But they aren't working properly. So, I've watch tutorials and read guides on how to do this properly but I'm obviously missing something.

The problem is they don't all light up. I get this green light that pops up sometimes or I get a bunch of bright white lights or no light.

This is how I've set it up:

I bought a 5V Universal AC/DC Adapter with a micro-USB plug-I connected the red wire (5V) of my Neopixel strip to the + side of the micro-USB and GND black wire to the - side. I read that a single data pin is all that is necessary to communicate with the entire strip so I connected a male jumper wire to one the middle set of female jumper wire slots of 2 wires (Dout) of the Neopixel strip and connected the other part to my digital pin 6 slot of my Arduino UNO. I then read the I should connect a 300-500 Ohm resistor to my data pin wire so I added one. I also read I should get a 1000uF 16+V capacitor for my power source so I'm getting that too. My question is-what am I missing here?

I've used a Neopixel strip before successfully but I cut off the ends with the pre-soldered wires and soldered new wires onto the copper ends (which I want to avoid this time around). I connected the 5v to the 5v-the GND to the GND and the Din to pin 6. Am I supposed to connect the red wire (5v) to the arduino-I read that you shouldn't-what about the GND wire-should I connect that to a GND pin of the arduino? Btw I'm already using one of the GND pins for a Timer that I plan on using for the LEDs so I only have one available if it is necessary. I don't want to damage my LEDs anymore than I already might have.

Help would be greatly appreciated-thank you

booyah323

Re: Adafruit Neopixels Not All Lighting

by dastels on Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:27 pm

What's the current rating of the power supply? For 60 NeoPixels you'll need 3.6A in the worst case (all white at full brightness), although 2A is probably ok for typical use. I can't quite makes sense of your description of the data wiring... except that you say Dout. The data from the controller to the strip has to be connected to Din of the strip. Din is at one end, Dout at the other. All ground lines should be connected together.

The code... you are creating the NeoPixel object to have 60 pixels?

Dave

dastels

by booyah323 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 pm

Thanks for responding Dave!

That aspect of my code is fine-60 LEDs. I forgot to edit that Dout part out of my first draft of the question-I made sure that the data pin was connected to the right part of the strip-Din. Also I realized I made a mistake with my choice of power source before I read your reply but after I typed the question. I'm using a 5v 2A power source. I'm getting a 5v 10A. However, what did you mean by "all ground lines must be connected together" ? Please be detailed with your response because that's probably what I'm messing up. Do both ground pins of the Arduino have to be used? I'm already using one of them right now for a Timer for the Neopixels.

Thank you Dave.

booyah323

by dastels on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 pm

All grounds on the Arduino are the same connections. What I meant was that the grounds from each power supply and device should be connected together. There needs to be a common ground since all voltages are relative to "ground". In this particular case, the ground of the NeoPixel strip has to be connected to the ground of the arduino (and to the ground of the NeoPixel power source). This is because the data signal is relative to ground... ground needs to be the same everywhere.

Dave

dastels

by booyah323 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:56 pm

Got it. I really appreciate your help, Dave! I mean it!

booyah323

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.