Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Help with Adafruit Micro-Lipo Charger for LiPo/LiIon Batt w/
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Help with Adafruit Micro-Lipo Charger for LiPo/LiIon Batt w/

by SirCatington on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:54 pm

I purchased the Adafruit Micro-Lipo Charger for LiPo/LiIon Batt w/MicroUSB Jack - v1, and the BATTERY LITHIUM 3.7V 150MAH through Digi-Key on 7/6/2020. When I first got the product and used it I had no problems. After having the charger with the battery connected but not switched on, and connected to the thing that I am powering, and sitting in a cabinet for a couple of weeks, when I went to connect to use the battery I saw that the red and green lights were on (see attached photo). I looked at the datasheet and instructions https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-microlipo-and-minilipo-battery-chargers/downloads and found out that that means that the battery is damaged or not connected. Since I have the battery connected I think that the battery might be damaged, however. I tested the voltage with a multimeter the pin that is supposed to give 5v gives 3.64v; and the Batt pin that is supposed to give 3.7v gives 4.18v.

Thanks!
Attachments
20200802_144201.jpg
20200802_144201.jpg (725.69 KiB) Viewed 29 times

SirCatington

Re: Help with Adafruit Micro-Lipo Charger for LiPo/LiIon Bat

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:30 am

I tested the voltage with a multimeter the pin that is supposed to give 5v gives 3.64v;

Was this measurement with the board connected to USB? The 5v pin is the USB VBUS. It will only be 5v when connected to USB.

. . . and the Batt pin that is supposed to give 3.7v gives 4.18v.

3.7 is the nominal battery voltage. The actual voltage will vary between 3.2v and 4.2v depending on the charge state of the battery. 4.2v is a 'full charge'. So it sounds like your battery is just about fully charged.

adafruit_support_bill

by SirCatington on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:26 am

Is it ok to use the battery even though the green and red lights are on, on the charger?

SirCatington

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 am

If the battery is putting out 4.18v, it is probably quite healthy.

The status lights are controlled by the charge controller chip. When not connected to USB, the charge controller chip is not powered, so the status output is 'undefined'. Most likely it is in a high-impedance state, so the 2 LEDs end up effectively wired in series between GND and whatever voltage ends up on VDD. At the 3.64v you measured, I'd expect both leds to light up somewhat dimly.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.