Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Chumby Hacker Board
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Chumby Hacker Board

by zool on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:06 am

sorry if this is kind of a noob question but would you just connect the power, a/v cable and maybe a usb keyboard to this
then it would work just as a linux computer (kind of like beagleboard)? or would you have to use the FTDI cable and do everything through a different computer?

also what kind of linux is it...can you change it (i'm thinking yes but i'm not sure)?

and will there be an adaptor for the chumby touchscreen to the lcd input

i realize since i haven't used linux or know too much about electronics this board probably isn't for me but i'm interested in it and i have some ideas that require a small computer device
zool

Re: Chumby Hacker Board

by len17 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:16 am

zool wrote:sorry if this is kind of a noob question but would you just connect the power, a/v cable and maybe a usb keyboard to this
then it would work just as a linux computer (kind of like beagleboard)? or would you have to use the FTDI cable and do everything through a different computer?

Apparently you need to use a modified FTDI cable to another computer. Ladyada posted a how-to here: http://wiki.ladyada.net/chumbyhackerboard/serial

also what kind of linux is it...can you change it (i'm thinking yes but i'm not sure)?

Don't know what version of Linux it is, but I doubt you'll find another distro that runs on the board without a lot of hacking. It's not at all a standard PC architecture - it won't run Ubuntu or Suse! I don't think there's any point replacing the Linux that was designed specifically for the machine.

len17

Re: Chumby Hacker Board

by adafruit on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:50 pm

you probably dont want to put a different 'distro' on there. the one that comes with it is tweaked to work very well and supports all of the devices nicely.

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.