Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Multiple wireless heartbeat detectors - advice welcome!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Multiple wireless heartbeat detectors - advice welcome!

by cubex on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:42 am

I'd like to build 3-5 unintrusive and small-as-possible wearable wireless heartbeat monitors (I don't care about the method, but it must be good enough to tolerate movement - I once used a readymade IR blood-flow detector which worked best on the earlobe or little fingertip).

I need to use 3 of these simultaneously (3 separate people wearing them at the same time, 2 spares) to feed into an artwork generating sound/graphics. Recommendations? The 3 simultaneous wireless thing seems to be the sticking point. Unless they could be made to send by pulsing each signal alternately...?

Stuff I've looked at:
Sparkfun Heart Rate Monitor Interface (or just the relevant module)
Collin's Lab- Infrared heart sensor and this heartbeat midi controller which use a reflective-photosensor
plus this interesting snippet gtom GEC
cubex

Re: Multiple wireless heartbeat detectors - advice welcome!

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:50 am

The coded transmitters from Polar (and others) are designed to prevent crosstalk when there are multiple transmitter/receiver pairs within range. Each pair uses a unique code. You would need three pairs.

adafruit_support_bill

by cubex on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:53 am

arduwino wrote:The coded transmitters from Polar (and others) are designed to prevent crosstalk when there are multiple transmitter/receiver pairs within range. Each pair uses a unique code. You would need three pairs.

Great. What other sources apart from Polar would you recommend? I'm also aiming to have them so people don't need to wear a chest strap - just a small clip?
cubex

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:14 am

Most wireless monitors that I am aware of use either the Polar protocol or the ANT protocol. Suunto and Germin sell ANT transmitters, but they are all belt-style as far as I know.

I am not aware of any wireless earlobe-clip style transmitters.

adafruit_support_bill

by richms on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:34 am

Do they sense the beat or just send a figure for the rate tho?

depends on what the artwork needs if just the rate would be good enough.

richms

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that they report the beat. There are wireless adapters for receivers that plug into the wired sensor port and the wired sensors just report beats.

adafruit_support_bill

by cubex on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks for the info. If the sensors are IR I can probably make a clip to hold them if necessary. The work does need the actual beats, not the rate.

Finally, I'd welcome tips on the ideal shopping list for this project (my OS X machine will have >= 3 USB2 ports)? I'll certainly be back on the forum as this progresses..
cubex

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.