What to do?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What to do?

by SuperMiguel on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 pm

So im an electric engineer student. Still taking my prerequisite classes (this semester im taking Calculus II, Chemistry I, Economics for Engineers and Communication for engineers) but i have a bit of free time and want to start learning about electronics..

In the pass i have built a small robot using arduino (http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14402), i have done multiple things with arduino but that was the biggest.. I also bought an STK500 AVR board, but since i dont know alot of C i got bored and trough it in a box, i also did a bit of work with 555 (basic timer), i stared reading "The Art of Electronics" but got bored in chapter one, so i stopped reading it..

So what should i do? what you guys recommend??
SuperMiguel

Re: What to do?

by zener on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:29 pm

See if you can get a part time job or internship at a local electronics company doing testing or repairs or even some assembly. You could get a lot of experience that way. What area are you in?

zener

by SuperMiguel on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Zener wrote:See if you can get a part time job or internship at a local electronics company doing testing or repairs or even some assembly. You could get a lot of experience that way. What area are you in?

im in tampa, florida, and thats a very good idea, but dont even know the name of that kind of position :P all electronics positions i see in monster.com or career builder required an BSEE... stil looking

edit: went to interships.com, looked for engineering/electronics around tampa and nothing :9
Last edited by SuperMiguel on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperMiguel

by uoip on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:03 pm

I recommend reading some more chapters of the "Art of Electronics" book. If chapter one bores you, skip it and skim along until you find something interesting. You don't need to read it all in order, especially not if you've already got some background in basic theory from other sources. But if there's nothing in that book that's interesting to you, I guess I'd wonder whether you should consider changing majors.

I'd also recommend checking out the eevblog (google it). The video segments are sometimes ranting and rambling, but often they're OK light entertainment with occasional snippets of wisdom and sources for ideas.

What was it you liked about the stuff you've done? What didn't you like?
uoip

by zener on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Look in Craigslist under jobs, manufacturing. Something like this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/mnu/1953477870.html Except find something not so mechanical oriented. Technician is the basic name of that kind of job.

zener

by macegr on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:18 pm

If that stuff bores you to the point you actually stop trying, it might also be a good idea to check out the other majors available at your university.
macetech LLC - http://www.macetech.com
macegr

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.