Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Modifying a IR-Remote control
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Modifying a IR-Remote control

by hel1x on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:56 am

Hey guys,

i've got a problem. I wan't to change a IR- Remote control for a digital camera (Sony alpha NEX-5). I've seen somewhere on a japaneese website a modified remote ctrl / intervalometer, but I dont unterstand anything there :D

The remote ctrl has two buttons: Shutter & Shutter (2sec. delay). I want to change one of these buttons.

For example the 2sec-delay button -> Change it to an intervalometer (every x sec. shutter with or without a limit).

So how could I realize this?

Btw. sorry for my english :oops:

Best regards from Germany :)
hel1x

Re: Modifying a IR-Remote control

by uhe on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:23 am

A link to to the site you're referring to might help.
Nontheless I think it's easier to *create your own* remote than to modify the one you got with your camera.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison
uhe

by hel1x on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 am

hel1x

by richms on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:16 am

Does the camera have a socket on it for a wired remote? Thats probably a better way to go with an arduino than hacking up an IR remote.

Always questioned the sanity of IR remotes on things you use in public since anyone could cause it to trigger. Like those stupid HP laptops with a powre button on their IR remote. Nothing winds up people more than turning their computer off for them...

richms

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:23 am

There are plenty of intervalometer implementations floating around on the web. Here is one: http://timmsuess.com/intervaluino/

If you want IR instead of a direct link, wire the shutter relay in parallel with the shutter release button on your remote.

adafruit_support_bill

by hel1x on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:52 am

It has a micro usb port (for mass storage mode and pcp or how its called for the pc/mac software), hdmi port and ir port.

i dont know but i"ve never seen an wired intervalometer with a micro usb port. they use some special shit or 2.5mm audio jack
hel1x

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:59 am

There are people working on USB controllers as well, but it involves some significant work to reverse-engineer the manufacturer's protocol. http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/programming/digital-camera-control-using-arduino-usb-host-shield-part-1-basics

If you have an IR controller that works, that is probably the best way to go.

adafruit_support_bill

by hel1x on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 am

What exactly do you mean with a working IR Controller? Based on arduino/something else or just a Remote control?
hel1x

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:31 am

If you have a working IR remote control, it should be possible to interface an Arduino (or other microcontroller) via the shutter button on your remote.

adafruit_support_bill

by hel1x on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:56 am

Ah, I do understand.

Arduino board giving every x sec impulse and connect the output signal to the shutter button on the remote?
hel1x

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 am

Yes. Using the circuit in the first link I posted, you could wire the reed relay output in parallel with the shutter button on the remote. That would allow you to do fire it either manually or via the Arduino program.

adafruit_support_bill

by uhe on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 am

richms wrote:Always questioned the sanity of IR remotes on things you use in public since anyone could cause it to trigger.
One or two years ago somewhere in austria iirc there was a tram crash. This happend because the railway switch had an IR trigger and some kid was playing around with IR....

richms wrote:Like those stupid HP laptops with a powre button on their IR remote. Nothing winds up people more than turning their computer off for them...
Sounds like fun :D Do you have a IR code?
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison
uhe

by uhe on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 am

hel1x wrote:What exactly do you mean with a working IR Controller? Based on arduino/something else or just a Remote control?

A few weeks/month ago there was a link to a arduino based project designed to trigger cameras. Sadly I can't find it atm and it was in spain. Use google and/or search the make blog.
You could also mod a TV-B-Gone or the unzap which has more buttons.
uhe

by hlantz on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:22 am

uhe wrote:A few weeks/month ago there was a link to a arduino based project designed to trigger cameras. Sadly I can't find it atm and it was in spain. Use google and/or search the make blog.

That would be the Photoduino - http://www.photoduino.com. There's a new version out now, with a redesigned PCB, but (as I understand it) the same basic functionality.

hlantz

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.