Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

noob needs help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

noob needs help

by jinjin12 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:45 pm

i'm a complete noob to microprocessors and the arduino and i just got my arduino a couple of days ago but i already have some plans for it, but i do not know how to go about doing it. i want to be able to control an rc car using my playstation controller, but i do not want to buy the servo package or the xbee wireless shield. i read online that i could just buy a cheap rc car with a radio transmitter and hook the transmitter up with the arduino and use the arduino to send signals to the transmitter which in turns controls the car. but how do i go about hooking it up to the arduino? i could not find a guide online.

also how do i make the playstation controller interface with the arduino? does the arduino IDE have a library to do that?
jinjin12

Re: noob needs help

by franklin97355 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Start by doing some of the simple tutorials before you attack something of this complexity. You need to know how to program the Arduino and what it is capable of before going off on a project like this. When you are ready take one step of the project and get it working before going on to the next. Both adafruit and arduino have tutorials and templates for the basic functions of the Arduino.

franklin97355

by jinjin12 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:57 pm

yea but i need to have a project proposal by tomorrow. my professor is an ass, he does not teach us anything, anything i've learned i've learn from the guides. i mean i already know c++ and the arduino code example i've read seems ok but like i said, i'm still noob, but yet he wants us to have a project proposal that is somewhat complicated. he does not accept simple projects.

so right now, i just want to know generally how would i go about doing the project above? any links to any useful guides?
jinjin12

by franklin97355 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Sorry, I know of none. Perhaps the lesson here is don't leave the planning to the end.

franklin97355

by chatham on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Well, if you did decide to go ahead and do this project, here's where to start:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/I ... re#joygame
The arduino website's a bit of a bear to find stuff on; most of the interesting/useful stuff is on the Arduino Playground, although it's not particularly clear as to what that is and what it has if you're just on the arduino.cc site. I usually wind up just googling "Arduino PS/2 mouse" or whatever I need.
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/PS3/USB controllers.

chatham

by zener on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Yes, search on "Arduino Playstation controller" Lots of hits. Looks a little complicated though...

zener

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.