Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Were to get solid core wires?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Were to get solid core wires?

by Cole on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi, I'm looking for a place to buy some wire.

I want to use it with a breadboard though, so it has to be solid-core. I'm looking for something like the breadboarding wire bundle adafruit sells, but with something I can cut to my own length. I've searched on mouser and some other sites, but I can't find anything.
Cole

Re: Were to get solid core wires?

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:07 pm

Mouser has 24 AWG solid core in a variety of colors, but the smallest spool size is 100'.

If that is too much, Velleman makes a handy assortment. I suspect Radio Shack has something similar too.
http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=350429

adafruit_support_bill

by cstratton on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 pm

If you fall on the 24 side of the old 22 awg vs 24 awg debate (one is too big, the other too small) you can often score a lot of colors from a scrap of old multiline phone cable which has dozens of pairs. Even cat 5 cable (the kind that comes by the running foot from a box, some patch cords might be stranded?) will give you 8 distinguishable colors.

I once had a several foot length of 22 guage that had individual foil wrapped pairs - a pain to take apart, but nice bright solid colors, none of this fine stripe drab color nonsense... so I wired my buses in spectral order... and staked runs in place with short jumpers.

Hmm, I've got a bunch of cat 5 patch cords with broken connector tabs, time to see what one is made of. EDIT: can see through the connectors they're stranded.
Last edited by cstratton on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cstratton

by franklin97355 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 pm

I got my last spools at Radio Shack.

franklin97355

by adshea on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Powerwerx.com has some nice wire both in solid and stranded and it's pretty cheap.

adshea

by chatham on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:16 am

Just a tip about CAT5 - I use it a lot since I just have it hanging around, but I really don't recommend it. I find it too thin to work well with the protoboard, since I tend to move stuff around a lot, and the tip of the wire tends to bend rather than inserting into the slots. Eventually it gets really squiggly after multiple bendings, and becomes frustrating because I'm too lazy to throw it out and cut another piece. That said, maybe it's just me falling on the 22AWG side of the debate. If you can put up with it, it is super-convenient that you get 8 different colors in one package.

Of course, you could also (and it might be convenient to have in the long run anyways) buy some crimp-on connectors kinda like this guy
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/33000-0001/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvz8LftK4jeruNFGXUCoAPwuB9Ri%252bYZtHM%3d
that would let you take any wire and terminate it in a protoboard-friendly fashion without having to break out the soldering iron every time. You could also get some female terminals and then be able to make things that disconnect from other things, which gets handy if you want to start building more elaborate projects.
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/PS3/USB controllers.

chatham

by Andyx on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:16 am

I've been using crimp connectors with strand wires. I crimp and solder them to beef them up for repeated breadboard use. I also make wires with one or both female ends to fit most pins. The strand wire flexes better and seems to handle repeated use better than the solid wires.
What is better than an Arduino? An Arduino with a laser!

Andyx

by cstratton on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 am

Stranded with ends probably is good for simple repeated work.

For large multi-breadboard projects (I know scarcely happens anymore, you do it all in an fpga, or you need too many smt chips and do a board) the ability of solid core to be cut to length and routed on careful paths where it would then stay was key to making a design that kept working - if a wire came unplugged, it was important to be able to see about where it belonged.

cstratton

by Entropy on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:47 am

Try finding your local independent electronics store.

A good way to find these is to look through NTE's distributor list, since most of the independent stores I've seen use NTE for their generic components. http://www.nteinc.com/NET_St_lst/Disty.html
Entropy

by james_lan on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:00 am

You might try Ace Hardware, Home Depot, or other hardware store. If they have it they will likely have it in bulk which is much cheaper per a length. (Example, I've got a 1000' spool of Cat 5e which is solid 24 AWG which I think was about $55) Radio Shack usually has 24 AWG, but seems a bit higher priced than the above.

For breadboards, 24 AWG seems to be a lot better! However, you should be careful about current. I'm running some at very close to the limit of it on one thing (motor) but think I'm fine so far.

james_lan

by Cole on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I can't seem to find anything at radioshack, either at my local store or online. (when I search for "solid core wire" All that comes up is some monster audio cable) I'll have to check out ace hardware, though.

As for mouser, 100' is way to much for me. And I don't want to spend $50 on wire, either.
Cole

by mitpatterson on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:53 pm

i bought this set of wire on ebay, probaly not the cheapest on wire, but nice for smaller amounts and the fact you get multiple colors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200514106600&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

mitpatterson

by cstratton on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:44 am

Cole wrote:I can't seem to find anything at radioshack, either at my local store or online.

Catalog #: 278-1224 would be the likely choice, 22 awg. You get three colors, but I never liked the feel of their insulation for breadboarding.

cstratton

by chatham on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 am

I understand how frustrating this can be.. There are so many options on simple things like resistors, wires, etc., that it can be really hard to actually find what you want. Since it's been a week of searching, if you haven't gone down to Home Depot or your local hardware store and asked them for like 10 feet of CAT5e networking cable, I'd suggest that you do that if it's convenient. It's usually like 35 cents per foot, so for 3, 4 dollars, it's a big stress saver. Double check that it is in fact solid core; I've got a big section of CAT5 that's actually stranded (which is way nicer to solder with). You may like the CAT5 it for breadboarding, and even if you don't, on your next Mouser/Digikey order, you can either pick up some crimp-on pins, or try and find some better wire. That would be my suggestion, at least.
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/PS3/USB controllers.

chatham

by nateloaf on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:23 am

You may also want to look in to the jumper wire sets that are available at electronics stores.

For breadboarding, these http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=153 can't be beat! For prototyping, I use 22awg solid-core. As someone else mentioned, it is usually only available in 100' "lifetime supply for hobby use" quantities. It is well worth getting a decent assortment of colours as all but the simplest circuit can be a huge pain to debug when all the wires are blue.

Most electronics stores also sell breadboarding wire kits that contain multiple coloured wires in various standard lengths with right-angle bends at the end. Not sure what they are made of? They look about 22awg,but tend to be more rigid, so are great for laying things out neatly on the breadboard and to a slightly lesser degree, on protoboard. The one from my local shop is something like this http://www.active123.com/eng/storeSection/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/style/productDetails.cfm&itemID=MB-910&itemcategorylevel1=&itemcategorylevel2=

p.s. if you happen to need such a thing, the new female-female jumper wires that you can get here at Adafruit are beyond awesome for connection pins/headers on things like LCD's, etc. I got them to toss a few bundles in with my last order and they have been very helpful.
nateloaf

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.