Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

LCD Screens
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LCD Screens

by Snipeye on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 pm

So, I'm working on an n64 portable mod, it's been done several times before (way more than several, there's a cult devoted to it... kinda) Anyway, the screen commonly used is a PSone portable screen - the most pricey item for the shopping list, coincidentally, is the PSone portable screen. I'm wondering what other "easily-hackable" screens there are out there - trying to keep the price low. Preferably around 5", with a decent resolution. Not looking for retina-display technology here, but a 64x64 screen is not exactly adequate. Around 480x640 I think would work, though higher is always better.

I'm willing to do some soldering, etc, so if there's a microcontroller that can drive a screen, I should be able to deal with that.

Bottom line specs:

Composite video input
5" or so screen
Around 480x640 resolution
Some soldering is alright, but I suck at SMD soldering.
Snipeye

Re: LCD Screens

by cstratton on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Some portable DVD players have video inputs, others do not.
For the ones that do the question would be if you can get rid of most of the lower half while keeping the display functional.
For the ones that don't the question would be if there's a composite path you can tap into internally, or if it's some other format.

Most bare LCD's aren't going to take composite, you'd need an assembly packaged for car entertainment or something like that.

cstratton

by Snipeye on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Alright, thanks for the info - I've found a few screens that looks to be about right, if you guys think that one might be more likely to work than another, please point it out. Screens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-TFT-LCD-Color-S ... 19bfefd91b

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apex-PD-450-Portabl ... 3cb14c58d3

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coby-TF-DVD5000-5-P ... 1c161917ce
Snipeye

by cstratton on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Don't miss the $25 shipping on the plain one!

No real evidence if those DVD's have input. If I was going that route I'd probably shop locally.

cstratton

by Snipeye on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Snipeye

by richms on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:16 am

The main attraction to the real PS-one screen is its ability to take RGB on standard TV timings, something really common on televisions, but seldom seen on small LCD screens.

However composite or svideo into a small screen like those is not a total writeoff like with a big television for quality.

the big problem is finding a 4:3 screen these days, since the illogical push to 16:9 like in those crap photo frames etc. As the PSone predates widescreen thats another plus in favour of those screens.

richms

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.