Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

CAN Shield board design
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CAN Shield board design

by FazJaxton on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:25 pm

I have been working on a design for a CAN shield for Arduino that I think is nearly complete. I've tested the circuit on the Protoshield, and have drawn it up in Eagle for fabbing. This is my first design in Eagle. I've watched some online vidoes and read some instructables and tutorials, but it's still hard to know if I'm doing the right thing. I've seen some people get really good feedback on their Eagle designs here and was hoping I could get some of the same. Please let me know what you think!

FazJaxton

Re: CAN Shield board design

by FazJaxton on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:22 am

The extra connectors on the left side of the board probably need some more explanation. These are broken out to the headers next to them so that any pin can be connected to the CAN header inputs, CAN_H and CAN_L in the center of the board. This allows for different pinouts to be used with the same board. The screw terminal at the right is hard-wired to the can pins, so it can be used without any additional wiring.
FazJaxton

by mitpatterson on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:36 am

ok, so i might be missing something, but what is "CAN" for? what is the target market/use of this?

mitpatterson

by FazJaxton on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:59 am

CAN stands for Controller Area Network. It's a communication standard designed for reliability that is used in modern vehicles as well as other multi-controller embedded environments. This is an interface board for connecting to CAN networks. It can act as a node in an existing network, monitoring communications. It could also be an easy way to connect two or more Arduinos together and have them all share information.

The CAN standard is freely available: CAN Specification
FazJaxton

by zener on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:47 pm

If the header on the connectors will connect to either high or low, then you might put another row of pins on each side, one high, one low, so person could just put a small jumper to connect it. Some of the pads look a little small, like on the caps and crystal. Bigger pads are easier to solder and stand up to rework better. Puttting in some ground plane might be nice. Make sure you have enough caps around.

zener

by mitpatterson on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Also, can you upload the eagle files for this?(assuming your willing to share) cause i wanta be able to look at it with the ability to turn layers off and stuff

mitpatterson

by FazJaxton on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:07 pm

@Zener:
- I like the idea for extra rows... I think I'll add that in. The bad part is that the 8-place female headers cost over a dollar a piece, so this would really raise the BOM cost. It's free to add the footprints, though, and I don't have to populate them if I don't want to.
- I agree about the pad sizes too. Is the "restring" in the DRC the best way to fix this?
- The ground plane is there, both sides. I just didn't hit ratsnest before exporting the image, as I thought it was easier to read. I'll do it for the next one.
- I have added caps as recommended by the datasheets... do you think a larger cap for the entire shield is in order? Or maybe something else?

@MITPatterson:
- Sure. I can upload these this evening when I get home.

Thanks for your tips!
FazJaxton

by FazJaxton on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:03 pm

FazJaxton

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.