Finding a Potentiometer

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

Re: Finding a Potentiometer

Post by adafruit »

mitpatterson wrote:Can someone from adafruit post a link, that would end any questions really fast
these are from a batch we had - please use the links in the project page if you're seeking the equivalent part, thanks.

mitpatterson

Post by mitpatterson »

these are from a batch we had - please use the links in the project page if you're seeking the equivalent part, thanks.
I looked on the LCD tutorial page and the link is the parts selector wiki page, and there are only pots on there, one for audio(large) and one that had 3 pins in a triangle shape, it doesn't look very breadboard friendly.

do you happen to have a link to where you had gotten the ones that are pictured with the product?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The trianglular lead configuration of the 3386F should not be a problem on a breadboard. The datasheet shows that the lateral spacing is still 0.10". As long as the three leads can be inserted in three separate rows, you can breadboard it without problems.

The datasheet shows all the possible configurations of this series. http://www.bourns.com/data/global/PDFs/3386.pdf

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

mitpatterson wrote:do you happen to have a link to where you had gotten the ones that are pictured with the product?
we do not.

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Picky picky picky :D

The only one I saw with a knurled shaft was a special high-voltage model. Personally, for LCD contrast controls, I head down to the local surplus place and get the cheapest sealed trimpot they have in the right range.

mitpatterson

Post by mitpatterson »

there are way to many for me to figure out what i want mabey you guys can help here are the requirements i would have:
  • 1. Has the 3 pins in a line
    2. Available from Mouser or Digikey(i am liking mouser lately)
    3. Has the pins down and the shaft/adjustment screw up, none of the right angle stuff
    4. Reasonably priced, Prefer under like $1.5 or so in quantities of about 20-25
    5. 10K is the Resistance i want(thats the one included from adafruit and seems to be just right)
    6. I like having the longer shafts, the ones that you don't need a screw driver for, but if the only way to meet the other requirements is to use the ones with the scews that fine.

zener

Post by zener »

3386T-1-103LF Mouser (note that the photo they show is incorrect/"representative")

mitpatterson

Post by mitpatterson »

thanks Zener, yah, i was having trouble differing them since they all have that picture pretty much, but since you gave me an exact number to look at, i can look at data sheet and see it shows the straight in a row pins for that model

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Unfortunately none of the distributors have figured out a way to put footprints in their search dropdowns 8)

stinkbutt

Post by stinkbutt »

Zener wrote:
stinkbutt wrote:I suspect the particular pot you're referring to in that image comes from Bourns:

http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/3310.pdf
http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/3360.pdf

...and if it doesn't they make an excellent substitute.

I was saying "Boo-urns!"
I already said Bourns doesn't have it! He wants pins three-in-a-row.
Those are three-in-a-row. What's the problem?

stinkbutt

Post by stinkbutt »

This is what the 3310C-001 looks like.
3310C.png
3310C.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 2429 times

stinkbutt

Post by stinkbutt »

pstemari wrote:Unfortunately none of the distributors have figured out a way to put footprints in their search dropdowns 8)

Believe it or not, you can figure that out on mouser. For example this search:

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Component ... 86&FS=True

Then sort by manufacturer part number. The sortable datum will end up being the suffix after the 3386. So 3386B comes before the 3386C, etc. etc. etc... And that letter indicates the footprint. You DO have to filter to only allow one resistance or you'll get multiple 3386B's with different resistances, like the 3386B-1-103 (10k) 3386B-1-104 (100k)...

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Sure, for a particular series from a particular manufacturer you can determine that from the datasheets. That's a long way from saying "show me all 2k 1-turn trimpots with 3 pins in a straight line spaced 2.54mm apart".

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”