PyGamer mounts as PYBADGEBOOT but not as CIRCUITPY

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
centralHarlem

PyGamer mounts as PYBADGEBOOT but not as CIRCUITPY

Post by centralHarlem »

This is in MacOS 11.3. I successfully upgraded the bootloader to 3.13 and then installed CircuitPython 6.2.0. Connecting directly to REPL works and basic tests run in that environment, print("hello world"), for example. However, the PyGamer doesn't show up in the finder, so I can't save code to it or install libraries on it.

It shows up in the USB Device Tree ("PyBadge"), but the OS doesn't seem to think it's a drive. It doesn't show up if I run diskutil list, for example.

If I reboot to the bootloader with a double-reset, that shows up on the desktop exactly as expected. It's only the CIRCUITPY partition that doesn't appear (though it's clearly there in some form and able to run basic python).

I have reinstalled the bootloader and CircuitPython a couple of times. That didn't help. I have tried multiple USB cables and multiple ports. That doesn't help either. Rebooting the Mac and the Pygamer did not help.

I tried blowing away the CircuitPython directory from REPL with
import storage
storage.erase_filesystem()

That didn't help either.

Help?

blnkjns

Re: PyGamer mounts as PYBADGEBOOT but not as CIRCUITPY

Post by blnkjns »

You did double tap to mount, and then download the U2F here:
https://circuitpython.org/board/pybadge/
And save it to the visible drive?

centralHarlem

Post by centralHarlem »

Yes, both the bootloader and the CircuitPython UF2, in that order. And the python got installed; otherwise I would not be able to access its REPL and run code on it. It just won't mount as a drive, so I can't save anything to it.

centralHarlem

Post by centralHarlem »

Problem solved. The product page at Adafruit had been linking to the wrong UF2s for both the bootloader and CircuitPython. The clue is right there in the partition name — it's coming up as PYBADGEBOOT, not PYGAMERBOOT. I have reported this to Adafruit.

Reflashing everything with the correct bootloader and circuitPython, all is well.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”