Board suggestion for QR reader project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Board suggestion for QR reader project

by Bekker on Tue May 04, 2021 12:08 pm

Hi

So i've got a small project in mind where i wanna read QR codes and i would also need wifi to do a http request and parse the result.
I know i could do a RPI, but it also seems a bit overkill somehow, and the whole hassle with running a full OS that needs to be shutdown correctly etc.

Any suggestions for something that could be used to read the content of a QR code?

Bekker

Re: Board suggestion for QR reader project

by blnkjns on Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 pm

I think this is a job for a vintage smartphone, you might still have yourself, or can be found for 20 bucks max. You might even find a ready-to-use app.
Thing is, even the crappiest of the crappiest yesteryear phone will have a better camera, better wifi, more horsepower and a better screen than any DIY set today.

blnkjns

by Bekker on Fri May 07, 2021 1:23 pm

blnkjns wrote:I think this is a job for a vintage smartphone, you might still have yourself, or can be found for 20 bucks max. You might even find a ready-to-use app.
Thing is, even the crappiest of the crappiest yesteryear phone will have a better camera, better wifi, more horsepower and a better screen than any DIY set today.

Maybe not a bad idea actually.
Though what talks against this, is the formfactor and psychical layout of a phone, and probably having to develop i java :/

Bekker

by blnkjns on Sun May 09, 2021 3:54 am

If it is just about going to an URL, there's probably a ready-made app, no coding involved.

blnkjns

by Bekker on Sun May 09, 2021 9:03 am

blnkjns wrote:If it is just about going to an URL, there's probably a ready-made app, no coding involved.

It's gonna be a bit more involved than that, it needs to request a page and parse the content, and then display something on a screen depending on some calculations.

I just came across OpenMV which looks interresting. But then i ofcourse would have to pair it with some wifi capabilities.

Bekker

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.