Raspberry Pi Zero Internet through USB
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi Zero Internet through USB

by CJ_Tech on Tue May 04, 2021 6:33 pm

I bought the Raspberry Pi Zero specifically for it's ability to connect to the internet through a micro USB to USB-A cable. However, after following this guide and many others, I haven't been able to connect to the internet through my Pi Zero v1.3 (brand new from Adafruit). I thought that it might be defective, but I thought I'd check here first.

CJ_Tech

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero Internet through USB

by CJ_Tech on Wed May 05, 2021 8:33 pm

Any suggestions? Windows 10 can recognize the device; however, it doesn't setup internet sharing. See my post on Tom's Hardware.

CJ_Tech

by CJ_Tech on Sat May 08, 2021 7:44 am

The defective item form I completed said to post the issue to this forum. It did NOT give any other options. I am getting very annoyed that I have not received a response in almost 48 hours - especially since there are no other contact methods available. I’m starting to wish I had ordered from another provider.

CJ_Tech

by CJ_Tech on Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 pm

I’m starting to think that the Pi Zero v1.3 is defective. I tried to SSH to COM3 through Putty, but that was not successful (no device existed according to the error). Still no assistance after 72 hours. I’m loving this company’s customer service! :/

CJ_Tech

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun May 09, 2021 11:56 pm

What voltages do you see on the 5V and 3.3V GPIO pins when the RasPi is powered from the USB-OTG jack?

adafruit_support_mike

by CJ_Tech on Tue May 11, 2021 5:35 pm

I don’t have a way to test that without purchasing extra equipment. However, an LED lights up brightly on the GPIO 5v pin (it’s the same brightness as when connected to a 5v USB cable).

CJ_Tech

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri May 14, 2021 2:48 am

We have to debug and identify a cuase of failure before authorizing replacements.

If you don't want to do that, I can offer a refund. Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to suppost@adafruit.com.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.