FX Mini Trigger Questions

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Starbase101

FX Mini Trigger Questions

Post by Starbase101 »

How does the FX Mini differentiate between a trigger button press versus a button hold (Tnn.WAV versus TnnHOLDL.WAV)?

What happens if I write both T00.WAV and T00HOLDL.WAV files to the board? Will the first play for single presses and the second play for hold presses? Or would this cause a file conflict due to two sound files mapped to the same trigger?

What happens if a file is named TnnHOLDL.WAV and a trigger button is held for less time than the sound's duration? Would the sound finish playing to its end but not loop, or would it just stop where it's at due to the trigger being released?

Is it true the FX Mini "isn't reprogrammable"? So, if I transfer files to the board and the triggers aren't working as expected, I've just wasted a $15 board rather than just reconnect to a computer and change the files? That would be very very lame if files can be written once and only once to the board. It means you cannot test and adjust the functionality.

(Questions like these wouldn't need to be asked if the board's documentation was more thorough.)

Thanks.

mikeysklar

Re: FX Mini Trigger Questions

Post by mikeysklar »

@Starbase101,

Good point that we do not explain the scenario of having multiple HOLD and single press files named. We don't know what will happen when mixing multiple file names for different trigger behaivors.

When playing a file with HOLDL the sound will stop playing as soon as you let go of the button. It will not complete the sound file.

You can replace the sound files as much as you like. When we say the board is not reprogrammable it means you cannot change the behavior of the built-in trigger types or customize the firmware in any way.

Starbase101

Post by Starbase101 »

Great, thanks! Now I feel more comfortable with writing the files, knowing that I can change them after testing. I will try writing two behavior files to the same trigger and see what happens...

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Let us know what behavior you see in some of these unusual cases such as duplicate trigger files.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”