Haptic motor & Maxuino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Haptic motor & Maxuino

by JFFrance on Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 am

Thanks in advance and apologies for the newbie question. I have tried to find the answer to this on my own but have come up short.

In short, I am trying to drive the Adafruit "Vibrating Mini Motor Disc" (haptic motor) through Maxuino, using midi files. Right now, I do this with 4 servos, and it's quite easy - I just hook the servo signal lines up to one of the tilde ports on the arduino and the midi files sends values to the relative sliders. Maxuino offers choices of type of signal control: Servo, PWM, i2c, Dout, Sout, and "1-wire" (apologies as I am also a very basic user of Maxuino).

I would like to do the same with 4 vibrating motor discs. How can I best accomplish this?

Thanks again in advance for any input on this!

PS - I also have the Adafruit DRV2605L Haptic Motor Controller and have set this up, but I don't know if it's needed for my purposes. I also have the Adafruit Motor Shield if this is a necessary element.

JFFrance

Re: Haptic motor & Maxuino

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon May 10, 2021 1:18 pm

You'll probably definitely want to use the DRV2605L driver in conjunction with the motor. As a start, follows this guide and make sure the basics work:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... t/overview

The DRV2605L has a special input pin and mode that allows driving it via audio signals:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... -1043191-2

Connection info here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... 1043655-16
and an example sketch here:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_DR ... /audio.ino

adafruit_support_carter

by JFFrance on Mon May 10, 2021 1:35 pm

Thank you so much.

I set up the DRV2605L and it does work, have tried all the example files.

I'm aware of the audio line on the DRV2605L, however I am looking to not send actual audio out. In my servo setup, the midi notes get converted to a number which sends a signal to the motor - a single midi note "asks" the servo to quickly "move X degrees and return to zero" so that every time a midi note comes on it makes a "hit" like a drumstick.

Are you saying that I can use the audio input on the DRV2605L in the same way I am sending control messages to the servo (i.e. just values, not actual sound)?

If that's not possible, the workaround that comes to mind from your reply is to have a midi instrument "play" the notes and send that as audio to the motor, which would work as a sort of "envelope follower." I would turn off the monitoring audio on the instrument so it would just feed to the motor without us being able to actually hear it. Before I go that route though I just want to make sure that there's no way to do it as stated above (i.e. without converting it to an audio signal).

I apologize for any lack of clarity here and thank you so much again!

JFFrance

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon May 10, 2021 1:42 pm

What are you actually wanting the motor to do? It's not strong enough to move anything like a drum stick.

In general, it takes a different control signal than a servo. So you won't be able to just send the same commands.

adafruit_support_carter

by JFFrance on Mon May 10, 2021 1:53 pm

The motor sits in a teacup with a contact mic attached to the teacup. Everytime the motor "jumps" (vibrates) it hits/scrapes the inside of the teacup making a sound which is picked up by the contact mic. I've been able to test this with the example files.

It's not supporting/holding anything like a drumstick, just has to vibrate (can be very tiny vibration). So I'm guess I'm wanting to send it a "pulse" or an on/off message, but rather than just a regular pulse I'd like to be able to control the specific rhythm.

JFFrance

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon May 10, 2021 1:58 pm

Thanks. That makes more sense. This is probably doable somehow, but we don't know anything about the Maxuino part of this. You can use those examples from the Learn Guide as a start though.

adafruit_support_carter

by JFFrance on Mon May 10, 2021 2:01 pm

ok, thank you!

JFFrance

by JFFrance on Mon May 10, 2021 2:07 pm

So sorry, one final question.

I looked through the connection guide for this, apologies if I am missing it, but how would you suggest is the best way to run the audio signal to the breakout board? is it just an audio input jack on the breadboard running a mono signal to the breakout's "in" ?

JFFrance

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm

Hmm. Did this link work OK for you?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... 1043655-16
It loaded a bit weird for me and didn't actually go to the information. But the suggested wiring is at the bottom of that page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-drv ... duino-code

is it just an audio input jack on the breadboard running a mono signal to the breakout's "in" ?

Yep, that's pretty much it. And then run that example code, which isn't fancy, it just sends the command to the DRV to put it in the proper mode.

adafruit_support_carter

by JFFrance on Mon May 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Great I see it now thanks again for your prompt and patient replies!

JFFrance

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.