FX Boards Undetectable

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jgfehren

FX Boards Undetectable

Post by jgfehren »

I have two Adafruit FX boards that have become undetectable by PC or Mac. Both function with green light & a red light while operational, but neither are detectable on the computer. One board is old (don't have invoice) but latest board was purchased less than a month ago (Order: 2545925).

adafruit_support_mike

Re: FX Boards Undetectable

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

As an initial sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer.

There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day.

Just swapping cables has no diagnostic value.. it's normal for people to say they had to try three or four cables before finding one that worked.. the record is ten IIRC. You need the true positive of a working USB connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

jgfehren

Post by jgfehren »

Checked connectivity across 7 different cables (3 of which were used to program the board previously). I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I cannot properly eject the board from the computer after programming with simple WAV files.

adafruit_support_mike

Thank you. You might have a corrupt filesystem in the Flash storage.

Try writing the default disk image back to the device, as shown on the Downloads page of the tutorial:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads

jgfehren

Post by jgfehren »

Thanks for the advice. That’s what I tried to do before, but I can’t even see the device loaded as a drive on either the Mac or PC, so I don’t know how to flash the board. Any suggestions there? Is there a way to put the device into Safe Mode outside of connection to a computer?

adafruit_support_mike

That sounds like a deeper hardware problem. What voltages do you see on the trigger pins?

jgfehren

Post by jgfehren »

Well I’m the midst of troubleshooting, I think I might have zapped a trigger pin with 12V; now I’m not getting any signal response (I.e. red light) from any of my existing triggers. I still get the green light for power, but that’s it. Is it fried?

adafruit_support_mike

Yeah, it sounds like that one is dead.

We had good reason to suspect a hardware problem before the pin got zapped, so I can authorize a one-time replacement. Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a new FX Board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”