Wires! Wires EVERYWHERE! Too many wires! Halp!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Wires! Wires EVERYWHERE! Too many wires! Halp!

by vodzurk on Sat May 15, 2021 6:15 am

Hey dudes/dudettes,

I've been building a spiderbot (with 6 legs so already failed there!)... and the wiring situation has got to the point where it's just... a headache that's stopping me enjoying or expanding.

It's basically a PiZeroW, with 18 servos attached. Each servo has 3 wires. That's 54 already. I've joined the GND lines all together and same with the 7V. Then I've tried to make blocks out of the Signal lines into the servo HATs.

But now I'm thinking I need to add in a load of current sensors (one per leg) to detect/prevent burnout from too much load... but... maaaaan... another 6x3 wires, plus probably another 6 for powering the arduino and communications back to the Pi.

I really like making stuff... but this is turning into an endless battle of "oh god, how do I add more wires to this mess?!!?"

Are there any techniques I need to know or something that gets me through this wall of wirey showstoppers?

IMG_20210313_131231_small.jpg
IMG_20210313_131231_small.jpg (252.09 KiB) Viewed 96 times

Small.jpg
Small.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 96 times

vodzurk

Re: Wires! Wires EVERYWHERE! Too many wires! Halp!

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat May 15, 2021 9:00 am

You could splice together the servo power and ground wires for each leg external to the body. That is 4x6 = 24 fewer wires coming in.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wires! Wires EVERYWHERE! Too many wires! Halp!

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat May 15, 2021 8:46 pm

Connectors and twisted wire bundles make wire management easier:

https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010/t ... e-bundles/

Twisted bundles make several wires act like a single cable, and connectors eliminate the fiddling of hooking up one wire at a time. Twisted cables also flex in any direction, which makes them easier to work with than bundles of straight wire.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.