Need tiny Chip to create a portable WLAN that uses very litt
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Need tiny Chip to create a portable WLAN that uses very

by plutonic on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Ok, I'll look at that later as I have to do some stuff pretty soon.

plutonic

Re: Need tiny Chip to create a portable WLAN that uses very

by straykat on Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Ah, so. I have received my Feather M0 with WINC1500, and spent the last couple days trying to figure out to make happen what I thought would be an easy thing to do.
Please note that I don't know much programming - I learned BASIC in school, and some FORTRAN 77 in university, and the only program I've ever written was a simple game on a ZX81 to guess a random number, and get a celebratory smiley changing from :-| to :-) when you guessed the number, and to :-(, when you entered a wrong number.

After finding out that two of my USB cords were shot ... I finally started playing with Arduino, following the tutorials here.

What did I want to do? Create an offline wireless net-work (without internet) - and connect to it with two devices at the same time: My iphone, and the OpenAPS rig - which is an Edison sitting on a radio chip. Access Point.

The good news is that I learned a bunch about Ardunio. It did not take long, and I had an Access Point set up. Some time later, it was even password protected. But for some reason, only one device would connect at the same time. Surely a code problem.
Almost there, right?

Well, no. after a lot more research, I found out why ... it's a hardware limitation of the WINC1500 chip. :(

This I find, well, lame. Is it really that hard for a dedicated WIFI module and a pretty powerful chip to handle multiple clients connecting to its ad-hoc WIFI network/AP?
I guess I can try a workaround - somehow connecting the iPhone as a keyboard, and using the AP to connect the rig to the Feather. But for now, aside from me loving the form factor of the chip set, I would say I have an unnecessary wifi-enabled Feather sitting around. :(

I think that you guys should point that out in the description of the chip, since you speak about the ability to use it at a soft access point. (Which is why I bought it)

Cheers.

https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/ATWINC15x0-Wi-Fi-Network-Controller-Software-Design-Guide-DS00002389.pdf

8.3 Limitations
• The AP can only support a single associated station. Further connection attempts are rejected.
• The ATWINC15x0 supports WPA2 security feature starting from the firmware version 19.5.x.
• Concurrency (simultaneous STA and AP mode) is not supported. Prior to activating the AP mode, the host MCU application must disable the mode that is currently running.

straykat

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.