LCD issue
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LCD issue

by cekiert on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:28 pm

I'm having problems with the lcd I purchased order 67889... part 162-7 vertical portions
of characters 5 and 6 in lines one and two do not display anything, I've
been trying to correct the issue so I wouldnt need to desolder everything I've
spent about a day between checking software and checking over my wiring(using a ohm meter and soldering iron 4-5 times per connection)... I've concluded that I can get
the lcd working by heating pin 7 for about 10-15 seconds, but within 30 seconds of removing heat the
lcd that same area slowly starts to turn black again one vertical line at a time... note pin 7 is db0 which
would be used for 8 bit and i'm doing 4 bit which doesnt even use this pin..
I dont know if it was damaged in shipping as bending the lcd board slightly also
effects the display... Currently I've reported this issue to adafruit through email and am being forwarded to post on this fourm
due to their lack of customer support and professionalism, including a guide posted on the same webpage for the lcd that is for another lcd with different pinouts without specifically noting the differences between the guide and their product, and irrelevant documentation specifications for notably proper voltage documentation for the backlight(red and most other colors)... I found a bigger Lcd for less somewhere else.. lesson learned i'll source my other clients projects through other more reliable vendors...
cekiert

Re: LCD issue

by adafruit on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:54 pm

cekiert wrote:Currently I've reported this issue to adafruit through email and am being forwarded to post on this fourm due to their lack of customer support and professionalism... I found a bigger Lcd for less somewhere else.. lesson learned i'll source my other clients projects through other more reliable vendors...

we can help you, all we've asked is that you post in the customer support forums. this is where we handle all support. we answered your email politely and promptly (within 9 minutes on a sunday night) -- here it is:

adafruit wrote:thanks for emailing adafruit's customer order support!

for this type of question and technical support - please post up in
the adafruit customer support forums so we can better assist you as
well as help others in the process!

http://www.adafruit.com/forums/

if you have any additional questions please let us know!

cheers,
adafruit

if you're unwilling or unable to post here in the forums, please let us know - you can also return the LCD for a full refund. if a LCD was damaged in shipping we also provide free replacements at our costs.

how is any of this " lack of customer support and professionalism" ?

thank you,
adafruit

adafruit

by cekiert on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:37 pm

If I reported issues in a email, why am I being forwarded to this forum?.. and I also mentioned lack of documentation and the guide compatibility issues.. bottomline I'd like a good Lcd.. I've already rush ordered a replacement elsewhere for this client... but maybe I could use a lcd for my next client, my local suppliers don't offer these in stock.. so I like to keep one on hand.. How Do we process a replacement?
cekiert

by adafruit on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:42 pm

cekiert wrote:If I reported issues in a email, why am I being forwarded to this forum?..

this is where we handle all customer support and why we asked you to post here, thank you. as you can see we respond almost instantly and help thousands of customers.

cekiert wrote:How Do we process a replacement?

we're not sure exactly what is wrong with the LCD from your description, can you post a photo of it? its faster for us to tell from a photo whether it is a defective LCD or another problem

-adafruit

adafruit

by cekiert on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Here are to different shots one the text is cut through and the other the degree symbol is cut out and part of the F it always affecting this same area... and when pin 7 is heated with a soldering iron it lights up for 10-30 seconds or when it reaches back to normal temperature...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cekiert/5159714179/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cekiert/5160317026/
cekiert

by cekiert on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 pm

the blurring of the other text is from movement and the camera... the rest of the lcd displays text well its just that one area, ...it just had to be in the middle if not it wouldnt be a issue
cekiert

by adafruit on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:28 pm

OK we understand what happened, its not the soldering of the pin that is the issue, its the conductive elastomer that is pressed between the LCD casing and PCB. You can try to fix this now if you need it immediately by twisting the 'tabs' on the back of the LCD module. However, this may not fix it permanently.

We can send you a new module or refund you the LCD, just email support@adafruit with a link to this thread and your choice of the options.

Thanks for posting in the forums, we're glad we are able to assist you.

adafruit

by cekiert on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:03 am

Thank you for your prompt responses
cekiert

by cekiert on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:39 am

I will buy from adafruit again, they were more polite then I originally thought.. and quickly resolved my defected item with a exchange, thanks again
cekiert

by adafruit on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:56 am

cekiert wrote:I will buy from adafruit again, they were more polite then I originally thought.. and quickly resolved my defected item with a exchange, thanks again

thank you so much for the kind words, we appreciate it!

adafruit

by stinkbutt on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:30 am

Support, in the fourm, after frigging midnight. I would say that is 133T customer support and professionalism, thank you very much.
Red M&M, Blue M&M: They all wind up the same color

stinkbutt

by len17 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:58 pm

stinkbutt wrote:Support, in the fourm, after frigging midnight.

Yeah, but don't expect support before noon. :)

len17

by adafruit on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Len17 wrote:
stinkbutt wrote:Support, in the fourm, after frigging midnight.
Yeah, but don't expect support before noon. :)

that's not correct, we're here almost 24/7 with multiple support folks, many/most are before noon as well as after midnight :)

adafruit

by mitpatterson on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:24 pm

so support at 4:26:45am? jk, adafruit always rocks the support, except during like really busy times i think most support seems to be answered in 1 hour or less for the most part, i've had times i barley get done hitting send and look away for a few seconds(think getting a cup of coffee) and i have a reply

mitpatterson

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.