"Three-way switch" wiring with a Non-latching relay on a Huz
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

"Three-way switch" wiring with a Non-latching relay on a Huz

by janerette on Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi everyone/anyone, a somewhat urgent question, please:

Could somebody point me to information on how to program or wire one of the babies? The situation is, I have a garage door motor, and I've successfully connected it to the Adafruit circuit, so I can open and close the door. It has a hitchy-glitchy delay that is awkward to stop midway, so actually I prefer to use a manual button to open and shut the garage door when I'm at home. Moreover I need people who are not-me to be able to manually open the garage door when at home.

It just does not work to have both wired to the garage door. The Adafruit will work, but the button will not.

I've also tried wiring them separately so that Adafruit is wired to the Neutral and to the red, while the button is wired to the red and the black - no dice.

Right now, the green wire from the Com of the Adafruit is wired to the Red (Red and Neutral work as a circuit in case that isn't already clear). The switches' NC is therefore Neutral. I can go and swap the Red and Neutral terminals and see if it still works. Or should I be using the NO on the switch? (I assume NC is Closed and NO is Open).

As you can see, I think the missing step here for me to fix is a lack of understanding, and trying every different configuration is a lame way to go about things. I'd like to find a way to make it work with what's on hand, if it's possible. And if it's not, then what I need to do or buy next.

Thanks!

janerette

Re: "Three-way switch" wiring with a Non-latching relay on a

by dherrada on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:45 pm

When you say 'the adafruit', which product are you referring to?

As far as I know, connecting the button to NC or NO will not work. Please get back to me with what hardware you're using (a picture would be fine if you don't know the product number) and I'm confident we'll be able to get it working.

In short, if you want to use the button to control the relay, then connect one end to a power source and another to the pin you use to control the relay.

dherrada

by janerette on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:19 am

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I'm not connecting the button to the Adafruit - I'm using the Huzzah for IO WIFI connectivity with a non-latching relay Featherwing for the wires. This switch and the button are independently wired to the terminals on the garage door motor. The operation of the motor depends on a pulse signal - and an interesting part of this problem is that when I first got it working, two years ago, they would both work, but only if my Adafruit IO button was "On." But I cannot remember if it was wired to NC or NO at the time, and it did totally stop working, which is why I stopped using the Adafruit for a while.

janerette

by brubell on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 am

janerette wrote:Hi there, thanks for the reply. I'm not connecting the button to the Adafruit - I'm using the Huzzah for IO WIFI connectivity with a non-latching relay Featherwing for the wires. This switch and the button are independently wired to the terminals on the garage door motor. The operation of the motor depends on a pulse signal - and an interesting part of this problem is that when I first got it working, two years ago, they would both work, but only if my Adafruit IO button was "On." But I cannot remember if it was wired to NC or NO at the time, and it did totally stop working, which is why I stopped using the Adafruit for a while.

I'm going to move this to General Project help since it's not AIO Specific.

EDIT: Moved

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.