Onboard charging using ADA1304 - will it work?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JazzyJay

Onboard charging using ADA1304 - will it work?

Post by JazzyJay »

Ok, so first up, apologies, I'm a total noob to Adafruit products, know the very basics to electronics and I'm needing to know if my evil plan for world domination will work.

I'm building a project where space is very very limited, so the idea is to have a charging port (Micro-B USB) built in and the battery (ADA1317 150mAh 3.7v LiPo) pretty much non removable from the project, so I can do onboard charging.

However, as space is tight I can't find a way to get a charger inside the project that has a usb socket in a suitable place to make it accessable..... until I came up with the dastardly plan;

The main crux to it is to have an ADA1304 usb charger inside the project with an ADA1317 battery plugged into it through the JST socket. Instead of the charger being plugged into a USB port, I plan to put an ADA1833 elsewhere in the project and have wires from the Grd and 5V terminals to the + and - contacts on the 1304.

To avoid having to splice into the battery's leads, I plan to solder on wires to the JST connector, these will go to an ADA2217 audio sound fx board. I'll probably put a switch in the + lead to the 2217 so it can be switched off.

In a nutshell, will this work? Is there any chance of the 1304 draining power from the battery, ie will the project's battery go flat if not in use?

I've attached a photo that hopefully explains.

Thanks for your time guys, any help is appreciated!
Ada 1304small.jpg
Ada 1304small.jpg (136.18 KiB) Viewed 252 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Onboard charging using ADA1304 - will it work?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

JazzyJay wrote:In a nutshell, will this work?
The connections above will work, yeah.
JazzyJay wrote:Is there any chance of the 1304 draining power from the battery, ie will the project's battery go flat if not in use?
The Micro-LiPo's charger won't draw any current from the battery, but the FX Board will. As long as you have a switch in that connection, the LiPo should hold charge while the device is shut off.

JazzyJay

Re: Onboard charging using ADA1304 - will it work?

Post by JazzyJay »

Thanks Mike, appreciate your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”