MLX90640 Thermal Camera with Image Recording
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

MLX90640 Thermal Camera with Image Recording

by Csmith on Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm

I am interested in using the MLX90640 Thermal Camera with Image Recording project to monitor a drying process. I was wondering if anyone knows what the battery life is for the camera/pybadge is ? I would like to do some time lapse videos- can the pybadge handle this? Thank you

Csmith

Re: MLX90640 Thermal Camera with Image Recording

by Disciple on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:29 am

Hello. I wrote the tutorial, but I haven't investigated battery life. I have used my PyBadge with a 350mAh battery for two hours at a time without heavily depleting it. If very long runs are required, other power options are easily available. The PyBadge can run on USB power, so simply plugging in a USB battery pack (that doesn't cut out under low-current conditions) or a USB wall charger can provide unlimited run times.
More of an issue might be the PyBadge's QSPI flash capacity. Its 2Mb would be pretty full after capturing about 850 frames. If much more are needed, adding an Adalogger FeatherWing with a microSD card might be a solution, or building your camera upon a PyGamer with its microSD support.
An example of time-lapse data presentation can be seen on Show and Tell using an early prototype of the camera project and a USB battery pack.

However you proceed, I wish you best of success with your efforts. I try to keep up with the forums and offer my best answers to questions about the camera project. I hope this was helpful.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

Re: MLX90640 Thermal Camera with Image Recording

by Csmith on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 am

This is awesome thank you. I will give it a try with the Pygamer.

Csmith

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.