Adafruit Industries, Essential service and business: NYC – Executive Order 202.6 - Read more.

Any USA or NY Prototipe 2 sided PCB places?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

by josheeg on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:32 am

I know batch pcb is great they send the sheet to china.
I know ap circuits is from canada closer...
josheeg

Re: Any USA or NY Prototipe 2 sided PCB places?

by sawmac on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:22 pm

DorkbotPDX does group orders using a local (Oregon) fab house. Prices are good:
http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order
sawmac

by laen on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Well, a local (USA) fab.. The DorkbotPDX order uses a fab in Illinois.

laen

by josheeg on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:58 pm

I emailed them my gerber files and have not gotten a responce back I read on their site their order goes out the 15th.
Maby they didn't get my email.
josheeg

by mitpatterson on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:08 pm

When did you email lean josh? he normally answer the same day, and if you emailed before 8 am today you should have gotten them in if he sill had room

mitpatterson

by josheeg on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 pm

It might have been friday maby it went into spam or something or it went into the order without any problems I sent a zip file and the file was called... something shield.
josheeg

by mitpatterson on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm

I would email laen again, he is always prompt with me emails, i ordered on the last order in(like the 25th ish of October) and i got my boards a little over a week ago, they are great, high quality,

if i hadn't made a few beginner mistakes(my first production/professionally made board) it would have been perfect. i had made the holes for my resistor a bit smaller than i should have, and the spacing on a buzzer was off for the leads(used the wrong foot print) and my overall layout wasn't all that good. But whe ni was working on the design still, laen helped me figure out a few problems i was having and me verified everything before i sent it in(i am bad at exports, so i just sent him the eagle files and he got the gerbers and stuff he needed from there) He seemed very eager to help me figure out how everything that i had trouble with should be. And he also sent a nice little breakout board with mine(he fills the blank area on his panels with them, and then sends them with orders) and his pricing per board for mine was like $7.66, even ordering like 50 of the exact same board from advanced circuits came out to like $7.99 per board or something(plus shipping) so i think he has a real good value here, espically for smaller runs, and i am so glad that i didn't order like 50 boards from advanced ciruitys, that why prototype runs are SO important, i would have felt even more stupid if i had sent out 50 boards that a flaw on them and paid over $400 for basically coaster now. So unless you are order a lot of boards(like 75+) you get a better deal this way, plus you get a very helpful person!

I highly recomend laen's service. and I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with lean(other than a customer) and i am not being compinsated in any way shape or form for this write up

mitpatterson

by josheeg on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I just sent the zip file again as a mail from gmail so well see what happens.
josheeg

by josheeg on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:04 pm

I got a reply & will make my next circuit board order through them. They are the most affordable for low quantity prototipes.
I wonder if they can work with 8.3 mill spacing and 8.3 mill traces?
josheeg

by mitpatterson on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Design Rules
(Eagle DRU File: http://content.laen.org/pcb/LaenPCBOrder.dru) The minimums are:
6 mil trace width
6 mil spacing
15 mil clearances from traces to the edge of the board
13 mil minimum drill size.
7 mil minimum annular ring

Looks like you should be able to

mitpatterson

by mitpatterson on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

also, on the site there is a lost a link to the DRU file, also linked in my quote, so you can run it on it in eagle to make srue

mitpatterson

by josheeg on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:33 pm

I use kicad if your making open source hardware don't you have to use open source tools?
josheeg

by len17 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:36 pm

josheeg wrote:I use kicad if your making open source hardware don't you have to use open source tools?

No, of course not! Are you seriously saying I can't publish my designs because I designed them on a Mac? :shock:

len17

by josheeg on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 pm

If your using open tools your design can go into a larger herarchal system.
For example what if your design gets too big for the eagle freeware zone?
What happens if eagle does not support a freeware version anymore all thowse binary files are useless.
What if someone wants to add soem functionality that eagle doens not support lets say if it is not fully scriptable.

Does the freeware lincence actualy allow what people use eagle for?

Also you might find your design is faster and more bug resistant or better documented if you try kicad. :mrgreen:
I made boards with both and I find kicad to be a lot easier.
There are video and other tutorials and the manual that is help files that come with kicad are great also the user groop is very helpful.
josheeg

by westfw on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:59 pm

if your making open source hardware don't you have to use open source tools?

No, of course not. You don't even have to use "free" tools, though it's certainly nice. Technically, I think you can have an open source HW design without even publishing machine-readable CAD files (or even machine readable software.) "Open source" is about "intellectual property", "rights", and "licenses", not about tools or EASE of use (that said, if you publish something that consists only of PDF files of source code and board layers, people will say bad things about you...)

What happens if you use an open source tool like KiCAD and the person(s) supporting your platform get tired? I played with KiCAD on my Mac a while ago, and found it to not work very well. More recently, it didn't work at all...

westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.