Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Just how sturdy are the 16x2 LCDs?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Just how sturdy are the 16x2 LCDs?

by robm on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Just bought one from the store (http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=181,) and attempted to interface it with my atmega168. However, like an idjit, I reversed polarity. Backlight was connected correctly, so it obviously still comes on; when the LCD powers on, I do get the blocks at the bottom of the screen. However, I can't seem to get my '168 to communicate with the screen at all. No cursor, nada.

Anyone else accidentally reverse the polarity on theirs, and have them still work? Or is this one done?
robm

Re: Just how sturdy are the 16x2 LCDs?

by zener on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:00 am

Have you ever communicated with one before? If you know how to do it then maybe it is bad, but I would guess it could live through it. Often people have trouble getting them going for wiring or software reasons, the first time.

zener

by richms on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:40 am

I have abused the hell out of a couple in the past till they were getting hot and smelling and they still work. Reason that happened is that it was a small one with a 2 row connector, and beside that a nice list of pins and functions laid out exactly like the 2 rows of holes. Problem was that it was totally different since it started at the other end. Someone who laid that silkscreen out was either sadistic or an idiot.

Mine got hot, made smells, still works. You are still seeing the blocks on the screen which is an uninitilized screen so your chances are good that it still works IMO.

richms

by robm on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Nope, this is my first time - I wasn't sure if I had fried it or I wasn't hooking something up right.

As an update, I can kind of get a response out of it, if completely random and illegible (random front-slash character or something) so I'm going to say I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to completely re-wire the thing and try again, will post again once done, should be tomorrow evening. Thanks for the replies!
robm

by zener on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:37 pm

There are a lot of threads on getting these things going. Try a search.

zener

by robm on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:21 am

Thank you, and I have done so - I think my error right now was splitting up the LCD data lines between two ports, and I don't think I edited the LCD library correctly. I'm going to rewire the thing so that all the data lines are on one port, and throw E/RW/RS on their own separate port.
robm

by robm on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Ok, turns out that following the tutorial here on hooking one up and using a different library than what comes with the Arduino isn't such a good idea - tutorial has the RW line tied to ground, while the library I used wants it hooked to a pin. Works perfect now!
robm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.