Beginner -Bluetooth

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dontaiz1993

Beginner -Bluetooth

Post by dontaiz1993 »

I’m very new to the world of adafruit but I’ve taken look at some projects and I want to try and get some better direction on this cosplay project I want to complete.

I’m making a helmet with an irregular matrix in a zigzag configuration attached similar to the Bluetooth Guggenhat project here on the site. I want to know how can I use the matrix to receive gifs to play and jpgs to display in real time if possible. If not in real time can I store the images and cycle through with my iPhone? Can this all be done with with Bluefruit Connect for iOS

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Beginner -Bluetooth

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

BLE won't be fast enough for real-time video. In practice, its maximum data rate is a few kilobytes per second.

For that kind of thing, it will be much easier to use a full-scale computer like the RasPi Zero-W:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3400

It has enough memory and CPU speed to process real-time video and decode formats like animated GIF and JPEG. It also has built-in Wifi which you can use to create a control interface.

dontaiz1993

Post by dontaiz1993 »

dontaiz1993 wrote:I’m very new to the world of adafruit but I’ve taken look at some projects and I want to try and get some better direction on this cosplay project I want to complete.

I’m making a helmet with an irregular matrix in a zigzag configuration attached similar to the Bluetooth Guggenhat project here on the site. I want to know how can I use the matrix to receive gifs to play and jpgs to display in real time if possible. If not in real time can I store the images and cycle through with my iPhone? Can this all be done with with Bluefruit Connect for iOS

Wanted to give an update. I found out the Avengers Campus in Anaheim is now selling LED goggles similar to what I want to do with around 7 different animations cycled with button presses. If I anyone can point me to how to do this from scratch, that would be great. Here is a video for reference: https://youtu.be/gFS-u5wJkko
Attachments
atacmg394794691317.jpg
atacmg394794691317.jpg (139.73 KiB) Viewed 143 times

adafruit_support_mike

When you say, “button press”, do you mean a physical button on the glasses, or buttons in a BLE interface running on a phone?

Both options are possible, and the code that does the LED animation will be pretty much the same in both cases. The difference would be in how the microcontroller receives and interprets the control signals.

We have lots of tutorials in the Learning System that cover LED animation:

https://learn.adafruit.com/category/led-pixels

several of which are for glasses.

Don’t limit yourself to only those tutorials though. The basic ideas of LED animation work equally well for any form factor. Look at several projects and try to find the things they have in common, because those are the basic vocabulary for what you want to do.

dontaiz1993

Post by dontaiz1993 »

Thank you, this definitely points me in the right direction. I would be trying to use buttons in a BLE app

adafruit_support_mike

Okay, the BLE NeoPixel Goggles project wil be a good reference:

https://learn.adafruit.com/bluetooth-neopixel-goggles

Keep looking at others though, until the hardware and programming techniques start to look familiar. All technology is basically a remix of pieces other people have made before, so break projects down mentally as you look through them. You'll find useful bits in projects that have noobvious connection to the one you're doing.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”