SD Card Read/Write with MAX 31856

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pdschroder

SD Card Read/Write with MAX 31856

Post by pdschroder »

I'm working on a project that needs to read and write files from a SD Card reader (ID 254) and read thermocouples on four MAX 31856 (ID 3263). I can read and write files as long as I don't begin any of the MAX31856's. If I do that, I get an error when I try to open the SD card for writing, but it appears that I can read the SD card once before I attempt to write to it. The thermocouple readers will work while the SD card gives errors.

Are these two components compatible?

pdschroder

Re: SD Card Read/Write with MAX 31856

Post by pdschroder »

I just confirmed that I can read the SD card once, but cannot read it again if the thermocouples have been started. It doesn't matter if I attempt to write to the SD card between reads.

The controller is a Feather M4 Express.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

It sounds like the chip select (CS) for the SD card is not being managed correctly. What library are you using for SD card access?

pdschroder

Post by pdschroder »

The library is SD by Adafruit Industries. Should I be using SDfat--Adafruit fork? I tried SDfat-Adafruit Fork, but with it I can't get the SD reader to initialize. I've read something about SS needing to be an output, but I don't understand what SS is on a Feather M4 or M0.

pdschroder

Post by pdschroder »

Update: I compiled and downloaded code to try to see if the SdFat library would work better, but I couldn't get it to work at all. Then I recompiled the code that hadn't been working before, and it worked! As far as I know, I made no changes to either the wiring or to the code, but there's nothing to fix now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”