Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Boxee Box RF Remote
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Boxee Box RF Remote

by jaycollett on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:24 pm

So, the long awaited Boxee Box has been released and I've happily enjoyed countless hours of video on it. However, the remote leaves me unsatisfied and seemed the perfect canidate for some good 'ol hacking. Unfortunately, I'm doubtful I'll ever have the right equipment to reverse engineer the RF signals being used...

Anyone have any ideas other than buying $$ equipment? Perhaps a personal bounty would get the ball rolling....heck that might even be a nice addition to the 'ol adafruit.com website, lol....

jaycollett

Re: Boxee Box RF Remote

by adafruit on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 pm

adafruit

by jaycollett on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Yep, this one is pretty cool in that it uses RF, otherwise I'd be all set with the tutorial LadyAda generously posted about capturing IR signals...

Unfortunately, the remote does leave a lot to be desired, not being backlit being my biggest gripe...

Some info about the remote, the specs on the CPU have since changed to an Intel...
http://blog.boxee.tv/2010/01/07/boxee-b ... gra-2-ftw/

jaycollett

by chankster on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Looks like the remote uses Noric parts

When we cracked the remote control open, we discovered a Nordic Semi NRF24LE1 for wireless connectivity to the Nordic Semi NRF24LU1P transceiver attached to the wireless interconnect board.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Boxee-Bo ... own/4109/2
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?

chankster

by richms on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:48 am

Is there an IR sensor in the boxxee at all? without it then everyone with a universal remote will be really annoyed.

infact if I cant make it work with my harmony, its a dealbreaker.

richms

by chankster on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:09 pm

No IR, you'll need a dongle.
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?

chankster

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.