key #4 of Macropad 019 not functioning

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MTada

key #4 of Macropad 019 not functioning

Post by MTada »

I'm new to all this. I received the Adabox 019 and assembled it. I learned enough about the coding to discover that key #4 (first key in the second row) is not functioning properly. I am able to change its color, but it does not function as I think it should when I press the key. Help

dastels

Re: key #4 of Macropad 019 not functioning

Post by dastels »

The NeoPixel and switch are completely separate so I'd be very surprised if both were to fail. So what are you doing and what are you seeing in response?

Dave

MTada

Post by MTada »

I downloaded the bundle for the MACROPAD Hotkeys (by Phillip Burgess) and followed the instructions to copy lib and macros files. I modified one of the macros files, which I renamed from something containing the word "Evernote" to "Game Keys". I modified lines 12, 15, 16, and 16 of the Game Keys file to mimic the up, down, left and right arrow keys (see attached code). The first key in the second row (which corresponds to line 15 in the code) is not moving my cursor to the left. Up, down, and right are working as expected.

Also, when I first used the MACROPAD with the default code I started pressing the keys and noticed that the display would print the corresponding key with, for example "key1" when the first key is pressed, "key2" when the second is pressed, etc. Every key except key #4 was had its key number outputted on the screen.
Attachments
Game Keys.PNG
Game Keys.PNG (98.31 KiB) Viewed 111 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

Is key 4 seated properly in its socket? Maybe remove it and reseat it. If it still doesn't work, try shorting its pins with a wire to see if the switch itself is bad.

Dave

MTada

Post by MTada »

While following your instructions I found that one of the pins was bent and so did not enter the socket. I straightened it out, reinserted, and it works now. Thank you so much!

dastels

Post by dastels »

Excellent! Have fun with it.

Dave

mikeholczer

Post by mikeholczer »

We have the same issue with one of our keys too. Any tips on on to safely remove the key from the board? I don't want to do more damage trying to move it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”