Any ideas where/how to host a KiCad Library Wiki?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Any ideas where/how to host a KiCad Library Wiki?

by chatham on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:55 pm

I feel like one of the big issues that keeps people from using KiCad is the lack of components in the libraries. So, I've been meaning to start up some sort of Wiki site where people can upload KiCad schematics and footprints, then people can download and rate them. Something simple, with decent organization and a good search feature so people can find the parts they might need easily.

However, I don't know much about the web-wiki-forum hosting ecosystem. So does anyone know a good place online or free hosting software (like Wordpress or something) that would allow for the following? Sign-in would probably be a useful thing to keep too much horrible stuff from being uploaded...
- A wiki
- Some sort of rating system/database
- The ability to upload small files (KiCad modules)

I've got some time in the next month or two to kinda put something together, but I just realized that I've got plenty of space on my domain, but I'm really looking for some sort of off-the-shelf solution to managing this project, rather than having to do something crazy like learn PHP and MySQL just to implement this....
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/PS3/USB controllers.

chatham

Re: Any ideas where/how to host a KiCad Library Wiki?

by westfw on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Google code?

westfw

by chatham on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:06 am

M, I'm not really sure that supports strangers uploading things? Or maybe that version control isn't necessarily the best way to distribute files that you don't need/want to download everything? I'll look into that; I don't know nearly enough about SVN/Mercurial than I should...

Any other ideas?
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/PS3/USB controllers.

chatham

by franklin97355 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:33 am

Any other ideas?
You could host it on your own web server, or use github, or Yahoo groups. It all depends on how much time you want to invest in this project. If you start it it will suck every spare minute (and some you don't have to spare) or will quickly besome stagnant. Be careful what you wish for.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.