Request: 3-4 Axis Stepper controller via USB
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Request: 3-4 Axis Stepper controller via USB

by foleyj2 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi there
It was recommended that I send a request here.
I'm working with the Hakkavelin Hackerspace in Iceland and we're working on making a RepRap. This got me to realizing that optimally there should just be a USB to 3-4 bipolar stepper DIY kit. I've come across the Allegro and TI microstepper chips which I'm temped to use to build my own. Unfortunately, the currents involved and power analog electronics scare me a bit due to my education focusing on the land of digital. If adafruit industries made a simple 3-axis DIY TI or Allegro board capable of driving 1.5 or 2A stepper boards via a USB serial interface, I think they would sell quite well. Hell, make it an Arduino shield.

The existing products mostly use parallel ports due to the hobby CNC software preferring that. This kinda eliminates the possibility of using a Mac to control it. There are also very expensive stepper controllers that do USB. There are some suggestions on instructibles, but they are generally using the parallel port and some are rather rudimentary.

Help would be appreciated. If nothing else, if I designed a board I would love sanity checking before I got it sent off to be fabbed.

foleyj2

Re: Request: 3-4 Axis Stepper controller via USB

by tinsmith on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:24 pm

tinsmith

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.