Interactive clock project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Interactive clock project

by Jake86 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Me and some friends want to make a clock, an interactive clock using the arduino and other parts. The 'other parts' is what i need help with. We want this clock to be one main unit with a display, like most clocks, however we also would like to have wireless receivers/transmitters with a microphone and speaker in all the other rooms where one might want a clock. This way we can talk into the microphone and get an audio response back with the time, date, temperature etc. Does anyone know how we could get started doing this as far as how to approach it and what parts to use? We need help! please :D

PS: If the wireless thing would be too complicated we can do hardwired as well
Jake86

Re: Interactive clock project

by franklin97355 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Check out 'speech recognition' for starters. Thats how the clock will listen for commands. The wave shield should be able to say the time and temp for you.

franklin97355

by Jake86 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm

franklin97355 wrote:Check out 'speech recognition' for starters. Thats how the clock will listen for commands. The wave shield should be able to say the time and temp for you.

Will do ! Thanks for the advice :D
Jake86

by stinkbutt on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:32 am

I would be shocked if an Arduino can handle voice recognition. I've worked with the state of the art stuff at work, on quad-cores, and it still SUCKS.

You might be able to detect someone saying -something- in the room with the microphone, but an Arduino can probably resolve Charlie Brown's teacher, no more.
Red M&M, Blue M&M: They all wind up the same color

stinkbutt

by Jake86 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:11 pm

If the arduino won't work is there something out there like a "speech recognition chip" we could use in conjuction with the arduino to get the job done? I've searched "speech/voice recognition chip" and haven't found much :?
Jake86

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:27 pm

I have seen a few embeddable modules advertised, but most are only sold in oem quantities.
Here's one that seems to be aimed at the hobbyist market. I have no personal experience with it: http://www.tigal.com/1770

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.