Mini PiTFT issue

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
edsgr8

Mini PiTFT issue

Post by edsgr8 »

Hi - I previously commented on the end of this thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=160540&start=15) which seems to describe the same issue, with the likely cause being a faulty pi. But I've just re-read the forum rules and it seems this is best posted as a new issue- apologies.

Last week I purchased the Mini PiTFT pihole kit from the Pi Hut in the UK (https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... -soldering). I've contacted them about this issue and they directed me here.

I have been messing about with computers since the 80s, have some linux experience and quite a lot of hardware hacking experience. I'm confident that I've been following the Adafruit Learn guides correctly.

I've started from scratch four times with two different SD cards. Each time I've installed Raspbian Lite using the Raspberry Pi imager, got pi-hole running and followed the piTFT instructions here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-min ... le-install

I can't get the screen to work or even be seen with i2c. If I take the kernel install route then the console is visible on the screen. If I take the pure python route then the display becomes backlit but nothing ever shows on it.

The eventual outcome is that when I run stats.py I get this:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/adafruit_bus_device/i2c_device.py", line 154, in __probe_for_device
    self.i2c.writeto(self.device_address, b"")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/busio.py", line 159, in writeto
    return self._i2c.writeto(address, buffer, stop=stop)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/adafruit_blinka/microcontroller/generic_linux/i2c.py", line 49, in writeto
    self._i2c_bus.write_bytes(address, buffer[start:end])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Adafruit_PureIO/smbus.py", line 314, in write_bytes
    self._device.write(buf)
OSError: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/adafruit_bus_device/i2c_device.py", line 160, in __probe_for_device
    self.i2c.readfrom_into(self.device_address, result)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/busio.py", line 149, in readfrom_into
    return self._i2c.readfrom_into(address, buffer, stop=stop)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/adafruit_blinka/microcontroller/generic_linux/i2c.py", line 56, in readfrom_into
    readin = self._i2c_bus.read_bytes(address, end - start)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Adafruit_PureIO/smbus.py", line 181, in read_bytes
    return self._device.read(number)
OSError: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "stats.py", line 50, in <module>
    disp = adafruit_ssd1306.SSD1306_I2C(128, 32, i2c)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/adafruit_ssd1306.py", line 222, in __init__
    self.i2c_device = i2c_device.I2CDevice(i2c, addr)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/adafruit_bus_device/i2c_device.py", line 50, in __init__
    self.__probe_for_device()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/adafruit_bus_device/i2c_device.py", line 163, in __probe_for_device
    raise ValueError("No I2C device at address: 0x%x" % self.device_address)
ValueError: No I2C device at address: 0x3c
i2Cdetect also shows a blank grid. Is it possible that I have a faulty pi?

Thanks for your time!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Mini PiTFT issue

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Mini-PiTFT doesn't use I2C at all. It's strictly an SPI device.

The header covers the I2C pins, and the signals are connected to the STEMMA connector for ease of access, but they have no connection to the display or the buttons.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”