Is it possible: Custom wireless keyboard w/ LCD Screen

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Collector0

Is it possible: Custom wireless keyboard w/ LCD Screen

Post by Collector0 »

Is it possible to build a wireless, custom mini keyboard with a LCD screen on the left for volume control, application shortcuts etc.
Also if power consumption can afford it, the addition of backlight rgb may be possible.

I have very little knowledge of the construction of custom wireless keyboards and arduinos so if you could fill me in on
why this is not possible that would be good.

Essentially the custom keyboard would be made, and there would be some added room to the right to fit in the LCD screen and the arduino,
and the power would connect to the same power that the keyboard uses for the wireless connection, i am not sure if the power would be enough to support
everything i want, and if the ardunio and LCD screen can fit into the keyboard case (I am not sure how tall keyboard cases usually are).

Building the software to let the LCD screen connect to the pc over a wireless connection to launch applications / volume control would probably be the easiest part(?)

Essentially i want to put a elgato stream deck onto a keyboard, with heavy inspiration from https://www.artlebedev.com/optimus/maximus/
(Alt design of this keyboard could have around 12 macros on the left with OLEDs, this actually saves alot of power and has the effect i need).

Could use https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... P4/2039171

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Is it possible: Custom wireless keyboard w/ LCD Screen

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It's possible to do all the things you mentioned, but that's not a beginner-level project.

You'll need to spend time getting familiar with the basics before you have the hardware and software vocabulary necessary to build a device like the keyboard you linked. The basic approach is to break the project down into smaller pieces, start with the simplest version of each piece you can imagine, get that working, then work in small steps to add more parts or more complex behavior. Once you're comfortable with one chunk of the project, start with the simplest version of the next one that you can imagine, and learn how to work with that. Then you'll be ready to try and combine those two chunks so they work together.

It's a process with lots of small steps and corrections, so it's impossible to say, "follow this path" from the start.

Collector0

Re: Is it possible: Custom wireless keyboard w/ LCD Screen

Post by Collector0 »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:It's possible to do all the things you mentioned, but that's not a beginner-level project.

You'll need to spend time getting familiar with the basics before you have the hardware and software vocabulary necessary to build a device like the keyboard you linked. The basic approach is to break the project down into smaller pieces, start with the simplest version of each piece you can imagine, get that working, then work in small steps to add more parts or more complex behavior. Once you're comfortable with one chunk of the project, start with the simplest version of the next one that you can imagine, and learn how to work with that. Then you'll be ready to try and combine those two chunks so they work together.

It's a process with lots of small steps and corrections, so it's impossible to say, "follow this path" from the start.
Thank you

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”