voice bonnet audio issues on Raspberry Pi 400

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikeysklar

Re: voice bonnet audio issues on Raspberry Pi 400

Post by mikeysklar »

The 2x20 socket riser header for Raspberry Pi HATs on the voice bonnet top side will need to be soldered for things to work. I believe that is why your i2c connection has been intermittent.

dbieber

Post by dbieber »

OK, that's interesting to hear.

Does the Extra-long 2x20 Pins (2223) header usually need soldering too, or just #4079? If #2223 as well, any tips for soldering with it?

---

Update mid-writing this post with good news:

I removed the voice bonnet. To my surprise the timeout issues with i2cdetect went away immediately. I thought previously I'd observed the timeout errors even with nothing plugged in, so this was a pleasant surprise.
Then, while removing the voice bonnet I discovered I had made a silly mistake. In my most recent attempt at putting the voice bonnet on, I had misaligned it by 1 pin. I don't know if you can see this in my photos above.
Putting the voice bonnet on properly, it started working, at least partially. I haven't tested audio yet, but the LEDs are working and i2cdetect is happily reporting "1a" in a fraction of a second.

It's possible I had put the voice bonnet on with the same misalignment in earlier attempts too. I will now test both bonnets for audio capabilities

---

I next installed voicecard and rebooted, and as desired the "1a" now reports as "UU".
Let's call the bonnet currently in the Pi "Bonnet A".
Testing playback, I observe my original Issue #2.
Testing recording, I observe my original Issue #1.

I think I'm using the original voice bonnet (not 100% sure). So I will power down the Pi, switch bonnets to Bonnet B, and try again with that.

The LEDs work on bonnet B.
Playback exhibits Issue #2.
Recording exhibits Issue #1.

---

So in summary:

- I still have not done any soldering.
- Both bonnets work exactly as well as when I made my original post (both exhibiting the same issues with playback and recording)
- Bonnet A is on the long pin header #2223, Bonnet B is on the short pin header #4079, Bonnet B is currently in the Pi.
- I must have made the pin misalignment mistake twice, and I feel silly about making it and about not noticing it until now.
- I really appreciate all your help so far.
- It feels good to have the bonnets working again, even with the original issues.

---

Thank you for your patience and all of your helpful suggestions in troubleshooting with me.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Okay, so pretty much back to where we started except now there are two!

I think it might be worth experimenting with the seeed-voice card branches. You could download the master and try to run it some of their examples to see if you notice any changes in behavior.

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/HinTak/seeed-voicecard.git
cd seeed-voicecard
sudo ./install.sh  --compat-kernel
sudo reboot
scroll down this page for instructions for trying aplay/alsamixer/arecord with some of their suggestions. After this we can try some python tests.

https://github.com/HinTak/seeed-voicecard/tree/master

dbieber

Post by dbieber »

I first ran `sudo ./install.sh --compat-kernel` while still on the 5.9 branch. Rebooted. No change in behavior (recording still produced high pitched tone).

Then I checked out the master branch of seeed-voicecard and again ran `sudo ./install.sh --compat-kernel`. After rebooting, I notice two changes: (1) the power light is now predominantly off even though the Pi is running; it occasionally flickers on briefly (2) the Pi is reporting "No wireless interfaces found" and cannot connect to wifi.

I'm going to switch back to the 5.9 branch and see if I can restore wifi. Installing 5.9 might be tricky without internet.

git checkout v5.9
sudo ./install.sh
The install seems to be working, and also the power indicator light is flickering quite a bit.

After install finished and before rebooting I ran `uname -r` and got 4.19.118.v7l+.

On reboot, I saw an error flash in the top left of the screen (didn't get a chance to read it). `uname -r` now reports 5.10.63-v7l+.
Wifi is working again.

Rebooting again.
I see the error again -- "[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules Use 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details"

This command indicates "Failed to find module 'snd-soc-seeed-voicecard'" and "Failed to find module 'snd-soc-seeed-ac108'".

`cat /etc/modules` reveals the following:

i2c-dev
snd-soc-seeed-voicecard
snd-soc-ac108
snd-soc-wm8960
Also I should mention the power indicator is stable and on again.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Okay, sorry the jumping to the master version wasn't such a good idea after all.

Let's get you back to a working 5.9 release.

You can run this from the master release:

sudo ./uninstall.sh
Then re-install the 5.9 release:

sudo ./install.sh

dbieber

Post by dbieber »

After running those commands, it now boots without error. `uname -r` reports 5.10.63-v7l+

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@dbieber,

Do you have any other Pi's we can try the Voice Bonnet on? You have been using a Pi400 and I'm curious if you move the SD card and Bonnet over to another model of Pi if the same whine, pops and low volume you have been hearing follow.

dbieber

Post by dbieber »

I do have another Pi 400 (unopened) I can try. I don't have any other models here, but might have access to another model later in the year.

Should moving the SD card and bonnet be sufficient to try out the bonnet on the new Pi, or will I also need to do any of the setup again?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

You should be able to move the SD card and bonnet to another Pi without any additional setup.

dbieber

Post by dbieber »

Today I moved the SD card and bonnet to the new Raspberry Pi 400 and powered it in via usb-C, and the new Pi did not turn on.
The power light came on just for a second then turned off.
Attaching an external monitor it didn't detect any signal.

I don't think this is bonnet related; It similarly only turns on for a second if I turn it on with the SD card but without the bonnet or any other devices attached.

Switching the components back to the original Raspberry Pi 400, it resumes working as well as before. It can turn on and record and an external monitor connects without issue.

dbieber

Post by dbieber »

I will next try the new Pi with a freshly flashed SD card. Perhaps the Pi needs to do firmware updates, that were skipped by booting it from the existing SD (?).

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The only RPI firmware update I know of is using:

sudo rpi-update
Usually manually running the above gets me into trouble. The Pi still boots, but tends to have various stability problems so in general I just rely on the normal install process to manage the firmware.

You can always run to see you firmware version and what is available.

sudo rpi-eeprom-update
Have you tried moving the recording off the Pi400 and playing it back from another device?

dbieber

Post by dbieber »

Thanks. I'll hold off on any manual firmware updates for now (I haven't even gotten the device to boot yet so I wouldn't be able to run any commands manually anyway). My next move will be to try booting the new Pi from a fresh install of Raspbian.

> Have you tried moving the recording off the Pi400 and playing it back from another device?

Yes, e.g. the recording from my initial post (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/j4i ... 662484.wav) has a high pitched overlay regardless of where I play it back.

dbieber

Post by dbieber »

I wasn't able to get the new Pi 400 to boot even from a fresh install of Raspbian. Opened a thread on the pi forums https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=322855.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”