Arduino SSL Proxy?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Hiraghm

Arduino SSL Proxy?

Post by Hiraghm »

I have a collection of vintage computers which can't handle new web browsers, and especially not SSL security.
But I would like to put them on the internet.
I've seen people "access" the internet with even a Commodore 64, and it's predictably limited. They could visit a BBS or maybe 20 year old archived websites, or a M.U.D. even.
But most of my vintage machines are DOS based (there are exceptions, like my Amiga).

What I've been wanting to do for a very long time is connect them together as a sub-network, and have a device such as an Arduino Metro (I think it has wifi?) or even a Raspberry Pi Zero W as a proxy; it would handle the SSL connections, providing the security, then spit the internet content to the respective connected vintage machines without the SSL overhead. If the connection between the device and my main network is secure, anything on the far side of the proxy should be as safe as the proxy itself. At least that was my thinking.
I probably would also have to connect the vintage computers to the main network via the proxy, not just to the internet.

Is there anyone with both Arduino and internet (SSL specifically) experience who could give me some advice on both what I need to do to make it work, and what's *not* going to work about it?

My first thought was to use a PI, but I haven't done anything with arduino and a PI seems like overkill for something to just make encrypted connections and forward data back and forth through it.
I hope someone can enlighten me on this topic, as I'm very confident a *lot* of vintage computer enthusiasts would also love to connect their old machines to the internet in useful ways.

mikeysklar

Re: Arduino SSL Proxy?

Post by mikeysklar »

A Pi Zero W would be ideal. An Arduino will be more involved.

A few retro computing howto articles linked from here:

EASY INTERNET FOR RETRO COMPUTERS WITH THE PIMODEM
https://hackaday.com/2020/06/01/easy-in ... e-pimodem/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”