Problem with LED strip?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
billyjitsu

Problem with LED strip?

Post by billyjitsu »

I grounded and power the strip with gator clips but get lights on the strip.

I connected it to the Gemma M0 unit like the guidelines but no luck.

I also pulled out and old Arduino Uno unit I had and gator clipped just the power from the analog and same result.

A very odd thing… when I slide the gator clip the voltage input of the led strip… it will randomly light up for a second and then go away..

I tried loading the python test on the M0 unit and gator clipping everything .. still not luck

I changed gator clips just to make sure as well.

Let me know what options I have

I figured it would be a very basic test to turn on LED strip. 3.5v-5v power, ground, and middle data feed.. I put a picture. Yellow is power, black is ground and white is data feed.
I even tried powering it with a 3 AA battery kit and no luck.
Attachments
20211010_205358.jpg
20211010_205358.jpg (248.9 KiB) Viewed 111 times

Franklin97355

Re: Problem with LED strip?

Post by Franklin97355 »

It looks like you have neopixels. What product do you have and what program are you running?

billyjitsu

Post by billyjitsu »

franklin97355 wrote:It looks like you have neopixels. What product do you have and what program are you running?
I have the adafruit Neopixel led strip.
The picture has it connected to the Adafruit Gemma M0

Currently, I'm just trying to get the LED strip to turn on. *no programming yet*

on a side note, I did run the python code inside the Gemma M0 based of the tutorial from the scarf. I'm just not getting anything on the NeoPixel.
The LED built on the Gemma does change color though. I'm under the assumption that power and ground should light up something on the strip. I'm connecting the data input as well just in case.

I'm pretty much following this tutorial: https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-neo ... -fur-scarf

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

pixels are unprogrammed on powerup and may light up randomly or not at all. Take a look at https://learn.adafruit.com/led-masquerade-masks for a project and https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide

billyjitsu

Post by billyjitsu »

Okay! So finally figure out the issue.
I had to reload the entire python file system to get it to load. Now I have it up and running!

I did have one more question... not sure if I should keep this thread going.

Is there an example circuit python code that will give me a "chasing led" I just want 1 maybe 2 leds on and rolls up and down the strip. Not sure if there is a tutorial for that with circuit python. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”