Snake Eyes Bonnet Remote Control

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wolfram_tungsten

Snake Eyes Bonnet Remote Control

Post by wolfram_tungsten »

I've got the animated Snake Eyes Rpi bonnet up and running (hooray!) and I'd like to remotely control it with a Futaba RC receiver. I know the receiver is 5v and PWM, not analog, and I know the bonnet wants 3v analog. I'm wondering if I could use the PWM GPIO pins on the Pi for this, and how much of the code would have to change to support it. (I'm guessing a lot.)

Alternately, I could power an Arduino mini-pro from the Pi, and feed the RC receiver's PWM to the Arduino, using code to translate the PWM value to the analog output to drive the analog controls on the bonnet. I think the mini-pro is only able to send 1v max as analog output, but I do see where to change that in the snake_eyes_bonnet.py file.

Any foreseen complications with the PWM-Arduino-Analog out route?

Thanks, this has been super-fun already!

wolfram_tungsten

Re: Snake Eyes Bonnet Remote Control

It looks like the analog pins on the arduino mini pro are for analog INPUT, not OUTPUT.

wolfram_tungsten

Re: Snake Eyes Bonnet Remote Control

I solved this by finding and following one of the many online guides re: using a capacitor and resistor to smooth a PWM signal to an Analog signal. Futaba RC is functional (and smooth) using 1K uF capacitor and 1 1K resistor on each channel.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”