Help with lipo micro charger

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
keepr

Help with lipo micro charger

Post by keepr »

Hi, does this product allow me to charge the battery AND power project at same time? Or will it slowly drain the battery?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4410

I need something that will allow me to charge my lipo battery and power my small 3-5v project at same time - which board will do that? Preferably with USB C?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help with lipo micro charger

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, you can charge and power your project at the same time. However, your circuits will be sharing the charge current with the battery. If your project draws less than the charger's charge current (100mA by default, configurable up to 500mA), then the battery will charge. If your project draws more than that, the excess will be supplied by the battery and there will be a net discharge.

This charger is a bit more sophisticated: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4755
It can provide full charge current to the battery while still powering your project.

keepr

Post by keepr »

Thank you! For the board you suggested, we plan on supplying a USB C to USB A cable for our customers, but it looks like they could use a DC charger as well. Do we need to be concerned about the type of power brick or DC charger they might connect to charge this board? Or is it protected by the circuitry?

Also, in this system https://imgur.com/a/2FfKJDZ?s=sms would I connect my speed controller to the other JST "power out" plug on the board you recommended? The battery is used to power the motor/speed controller.

adafruit_support_bill

The bq24074 charger can handle DC inputs ranging from 5v-10v. For maximum charge rate, your supply should be rated for 1.5A or more.

Your motor controller board can be connected to the "Load Out" JST connector on the board.

keepr

Post by keepr »

Thanks! I guess my question is, should I be concerned about a customer connecting up a power brick or cable to this board that is not rated for it and could that cause any potentially hazards?

adafruit_support_bill

The safest thing to do would be to restrict them to USB charger type power supplies. These are 5v sources and most are rated for at least 1A.

Other DC chargers may or may not be compatible:

* If the voltage is less than about 5v, it will not charge.
* If the voltage over 10v, overheating and damage may result.
* If the polarity of the connector is reversed, the charger will be destroyed.

s_b_maker

Post by s_b_maker »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Yes, you can charge and power your project at the same time.
Which connections should I make to do this on the 4410? I had assumed the 5v and gnd were input only and Ive read that
BAT only give voltage of the battery and should not be used as a battery draw. Sorry, I didnt fin this in the tech details for the board.

adafruit_support_bill

To power a load while charging, you would connect it to GND and BAT. As explained earlier, your load will be sharing the charge current with the battery. So charge times will be slower. And if your load current exceeds the charge current, there will be a net discharge.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”