Question about jumper cables

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Destrozo

Question about jumper cables

Post by Destrozo »

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am new to this. I am in the process of figuring out everything I need for a project involving a RP and some water sensors. This is going to require some long jumper cables because the sensors are going to be spread out and not right next to the RP. When I look at the jumper cables adafruit sells they all seem to be quiet short and I was thinking I could just make my own. They sell crimp tools and connector kits but they are for JST PH or JST-XH. They sell wire housing packs for DIY jumper cables but no crimp ends to use with them. They sell the raw pre-crimped ribbon cable you can separate and use with the housing packs but they are only 6 inches long.

So my questions, am I suppose to use very short jumper cables between the RP and sensors? Can I just buy bulk ribbon cable and crimp my own ends? A bit confused why adafruit would not sell the crimp ends for wire housing packs you use on headers.

Thanks for any help

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Question about jumper cables

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The pin connections on jumper wires are convenient for prototyping circuits on a breadboard. They are not a great choice for permanent installations.
I'd go with something like a terminal block breakout on the Pi end. You can splice extension cables onto your water sensor leads and attach them to the Pi via the screw terminals.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”