Pi Zero Dead on arrival.

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SneakyDragon

Pi Zero Dead on arrival.

Post by SneakyDragon »

I purchased a Pi Zero and received it a few days ago. I had to order adapter cables from Amazon.
When they arrived a couple of days later, I got everything hooked up and powered on. Nothing. No power light, nothing ever showed on the monitor.

What do I need to do to get a replacement?

Edit: Sorry, forgot the invoice info:
Invoice No: 2677075
e-mail: [email protected]
Last edited by SneakyDragon on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Franklin97355

Re: Pi Zero Dead on arrival.

Post by Franklin97355 »

Make sure you have an SD card imaged with the latest version of the OS.
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi-zero-creation

SneakyDragon

Post by SneakyDragon »

Yes, I had it all ready to go.
Recommended Raspian imaged onto the card. I have a Pi 4b and it looked like approx the same setup, less wifi.
I used the pi4's power supply. I de-powered the unit and tried all kinds of combos. ie:

all attached (1st try) power, hdmi, usb into a hub with 3 lines: mouse, keyboard and (your part number 4827) wifi/bluetooth dongle,
then, several different usb power sources
then tried above without hdmi
then tried without usb (no mouse, keyboard or wifi dongle)
then power only and card
then just power
no joy; no power light, no boot.

SneakyDragon

Post by SneakyDragon »

Don't worry about it, I already bought 2 more.. a Zero and a Zero-W
Any idea how to connect the wifi/bluetooth dongle to a Zero (not W)? Your part number 4827. I am assuming that it works with the pi zero.
I have added the information to wpa_supplicant.conf and modified the interfaces file. No joy. It sees the blue tooth part of the dongle, but I don't know how to look and see if anything sees the wifi part. (is it a TTY device in the dev directory?)

I put the dongle in a windows machine and it works fine. I even scraped the mac address to try and find it on the router. No luck when it is plugged into the hub for the zero.
It would be nice to have all these zeros (I have 5 now, soon to be 6 plus a zero-w. I also have a pi4b that I am using for development. of python programs that run a nixie clock. Not nixie tubes, but laser cut plexiglass plates stacked on top of each other. (0 - 9, and the rest for a format of: Hours Tens, Hours, ":" , Minutes Tens, ":", same for the seconds. (6 columns, 48 individually addressable rgb led "strips" or banks of about 3-5 leds. Then an am/pm/24 indicator.
Long story short, I am making clocks and news/sports/stocks tickers. All powered by Pi's!

I sure could use a source for python scripts to use i2c to address 48 different channels (both on or off and color info using "1 wire" or maybe some kind of matrix. The leds will be on perf board srips to start.

I am using a 32 x 128 matrix with an adafruit hat for display and so far, it works fine..

Another odd thing you might be able to explain. I only have 1 pi plugged in at a time. the pi4b always gets 192.168.0.42 (eth0) and ...43 (wlan0). But they don't show up on the main router. Even ghostier: There is a device called Raspberry Pi-Raspberry Pi on address ...0.16 and on 2.4gz wifi. I can ping it and it responds but any ssh attempt says "connection denied".Something is there smart enough to respond to a ping. Unfortunately, I have 28 other devices connected.
Thanx in advance for any help.
Alan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”