IR Break Beam sensors

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ottermedicine

IR Break Beam sensors

Post by ottermedicine »

I'm a HUGE beginner and just getting my feet wet with projects that I can use, so my experience leaves a lot to be desired.
I'd like to use a break beam sensor as a switch to turn on other devices such as an alarm or lights.
Is that easily done? (ie low additional knowledge or required knowledge of circuit boards etc)
Do I need more than the "IR Break Beam Sensors with Premium Wire Header Ends - 3mm LEDs product #2167' to activate other devices
or
Do I need a "switch" that is compatible with the above product to activate other devices" (ie is this a far more in depth project with other hardware)?

Thank you very much for your patience with my amateur-ness.
I sure wish that I had taken courses in a technical school to learn this with a mentor and hands on instruction.
At this point in life, I'm just satisfying my curiosity and breaking perfectly good stuff for fun.
Josh

adafruit_support_bill

Re: IR Break Beam sensors

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There is a tutorial for these sensors here: https://learn.adafruit.com/ir-breakbeam ... s/overview

The output of these is not sufficient to drive most other devices directly. But you can use it to control transistors and/or relays that can manage the higher currents required for things like lights and alarms.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”