10A 12V Power Supply from Adafruit Making Hissing Noise

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
PBodyBrook

10A 12V Power Supply from Adafruit Making Hissing Noise

Post by PBodyBrook »

Hello,

I recently purchased a 12V 10A power supply from Adafruit to power some NeoPixel strips.

The supply works just fine, but it puts off this fairly obnoxious hissing/squealing noise when under load. For example, right now I have 32 pixels wired up with a strand test running, and as the power draw increases, so does the noise from the supply. When the lights are off, it is silent. I have the wiring done according to the Neopixel Uberguide, with a 1000uF capacitor in parallel with the power output, and a 330ohm resistor in the data line.

Is this normal? Could there be an issue in how I have the wiring set up? I am working on a project for lighting in my office and as it stands the noise is a bit of deal breaker as it is so high pitched it really makes it hard to focus on work and gets uncomfortable quickly.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

adafruit_support_carter

Re: 10A 12V Power Supply from Adafruit Making Hissing Noise

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Some amount of noise from these power supplies is normal. The environment can also affect this - even the actual power being used. We've had some of these returned and were not able to recreate the noise once back in the factory. So it's a tricky problem to sort out.

We can try sending you a replacement and see if that helps. Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement 10A 12V power supply.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”